Tears Streaming

"Vi, walk like a big girl, and I'll get you a cookie." I promised, dragging the drunk through the yard. Hallie laughed, waving, as she drove away. The car squealed, and I could hear her curse under her breath. The car had been in the shop just this morning, and it still hissed? I saw her flinch at the sound as she faded into the distance.

     Getting Violet up the stairs was much harder than I had expected. She decided about half-way through that crawling would be efficient. She didn't warn me, however, of her decision. As she dropped to her knees, I yelped, releasing my grip. She tumbled backwards. Luckily, her hands flung out, and I was able to grab one before she fell all the way down the wooden stairs. She'd have a few bumps and bruises in the morning from the few steps she did fall, however.

     As we approached my room, I fumbled with the doorknob, attempting to balance her as well. As it opened, we both tumbled forward, our bodies ending up in a tangled pile on the floor. I helped her back to her feet, kicking the door closed. "Get dressed in these," I set old pajamas on the bed, leaving the room for her to change. I waited by the door, figuring I shouldn't leave a drunk unattended. I ran downstairs quickly to grab a few bottles of water. I frowned, wondering where I'd be sleeping for the evening. I could use my parents' room, or Tyler's old bedroom. I decided on the latter.

     "Violet," I reentered, setting the bottles beside her and pulling the covers over her, "Drink one of these. Then, go to sleep."

***

    I awoken up around 10:30, deciding to get up and shower before I had to begin the day with Violet. I was sure she'd feel sick enough physically, before we even began to approach the topic of her boyfriend. I was surprised, however, when the phone rang a little before noon, only shortly after I had situated myself near Violet.

     "How is she?"

     "She's not dead or crying, so it's a start." I glanced over at Vi's sleeping figure. Her eyes fluttered open, and she groaned.

     "That's good." Jack's voice was comforting, and I appreciated his call. It was nice that he had called to check up on Violet, even if he barely knew her.

     "I'm sorry about yesterday. I was having a great time." I laughed, recalling the water incident. I looked over at Violet. Her eyes were barely open, watching my every move.

     "We'll just have to do it again soon," He explained, "And I'll try not to spill water on you this time." I nodded, even though he couldn't see me. I was smiling as I spoke, "Definitely, but hey, she just woke up so I'll call you later. Okay?" Violet squirmed, closing her eyes again, shielding them with one hand.

     "Okay," I could tell he was smiling, "I'll wait by the phone." I laughed, and we exchanged our good-byes. As I hung up, I pushed off the ground, spinning the chair in the corner of my room in a complete circle. The wheels moved roughly against the carpet, as I spun.

     "Maisie," She mumbled.

     "Well, well, look who's up."

     "What time is it?" she groaned, keeping her face covered. Her nail polish was chipping, and her hair was a mess. Knots covered her head, and I was worried to see her reaction when she realized how she appeared. I very rarely saw her open up to anyone, and seeing her cry last night was hard to watch.

     "11:30."

     "Shit." She attempted to sit up, but her head was pounding, I was sure of it. She whimpered, laying back down, "My parents-"