Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Allison awoke to the smell of coffee and eggs the next morning. She stumbled out of bed and into the kitchen where Todd was frying an egg in a pan on the stove and a coffee mug was patiently waiting to be filled with the bittersweet, pungent coffee being prepared in the Keurig.

"Good morning beautiful," said Todd, looking up from the stove.

Allison yawned. "Good morning," she replied. "Breakfast smells good."

"I was hoping it would wake you up," said Todd. "You slept in pretty late. "You've been asleep for twelve hours."

"Really?" said Allison in shock. "That's weird."

"Yeah," said Todd. "You passed out pretty heavily about a half hour into the movie last night."

"Wow," she said.

"You're probably coming down with something," said Todd. "Just try not to give it to me. I've got to go to work tomorrow. Somebody's got to help pay the rent here and you're not going to work tomorrow. You need to stay home and rest."

"I'm fine," Allison argued.

"No," he said. "You've got to let this bug run its course. Now come eat some breakfast."

Allison sighed and sat down at the table. Todd placed a plate of sunny side up eggs in front of her and poured her some orange juice.

"Drink all of it," he said. "It's important that you have plenty of fluids."

"I know," said Allison, annoyed. "But I really don't think I'm sick. I mean, I feel fine. I don't have a temperature or anything. I just had a little food poisoning from the shrimp I ate. Plus, I had a long day at work yesterday."

Why was he treating her like such a child? She was a big girl, and she could take care of herself. And she was not sick. Todd just worried too much.

"Well, I still think you should be careful. See how you feel today, and then we'll decide about tomorrow."

"Fine, if that would make you happy," Allison acquiesced. "But I'm telling you, I am..."

And as if to prove her wrong, again, her stomach churned like last night. She clutched her stomach, covered her mouth, and made a mad dash for the bathroom. She threw herself in front of the toilet and emptied out what little she had in her stomach, that same acidic taste biting at her taste buds.

Todd rushed into the bathroom and wet another cloth.

"Now do you believe me when I say you're sick?" Todd asked her as Allison panted and wiped her hot face and mouth with the cloth.

"Yeah," she said, still trying to catch her breath.

"I'm going to take you to the doctor. You can't hold down any food."

Allison knew Todd didn't like going to the doctor's because he hated being around sick people, but they both knew they had to get her checked out.

"Okay," she said.

"Don't eat anymore," he said. "I'm going to get you a glass of water. You should be able to hold that down and I'm going to call the doctor."

Allison nodded.

They walked into the kitchen, and Todd poured Allison a glass of water. He threw out her eggs and dumped out her orange juice. He also turned off the Keurig. Then, he picked up the phone and dialed the doctor's office.

"Drink," he scolded as the phone rang on the other end.

Allison picked up the glass and took a sip.