Chapter 23

"I here by crown you king and queen of Iselor!"

Adan felt the heavy weight of the crown press down on his head as the bishop lowered it. The fur lining the rim meant it didn't dig in to his skin as badly as it might have, but that did nothing to reduce the weight brought on by the gold frame and the various gems embedded in it. He glanced to the side where Nora was sitting right next to him. He felt a slight bang of envy at the more delicate and refined crown being lowered onto her head. It wasn't any less impressive looking, but it weighed significantly less and that was something he wagered he'd soon be longing for. The celebrations for the coronation would carry on long into the night and by the end he feared the heavy crown would have his neck all jammed up and hurting.

"All hail the king and queen!" the bishop declared and the people in the hall stood up and greeted their new rulers. Adan and Nora stood up and both offered affectionate smiles on the crowd of people. Both of them hated every single one of them, but they were needed to play their part in fixing the world they had helped break. Adan reached out and grabbed Nora's hand. A cold sweat covered it much as it did his own. They exchanged glances telling of their emotions. It was a mix of disbelief, terror, and excitement.

General Baga banged the blunt of his spear against the floor several times to silence the crowd. Adan was thankful he was there. Though they now had a regular army under their command it couldn't be fully trusted just yet. While some of the mercenaries had been sent home, Adan and Nora had managed to talk Baga into staying with a big enough force that he could guarantee their safety and the continuity of their rule.

As the crowd went silent, Adan stepped forward. The bishop had told him a speech of some sort was expected.

"The past months have been bloody," he started, his voice echoing through out the great hall. "Many have paid with their lives for me to claim what is my birth right. I am happy to say that today is the end of that. My rightful place has been confirmed and we can all focus on rebuilding this great kingdom."

There were isolated cheers and claps here and there. Adan waited for them to die down.

"A kingdom that stretched from the coast far inland. We control much of the trade that the inner kingdoms desire and they will no doubt try and shake this new kingdom and its supporting beams – all of you. Do not be persuaded by them or cover in fear if they threaten you. Your king and queen will stand by you and ensure the safety of everyone in this kingdom."

There were isolated cheers here and there.

"But today we are here to celebrate. I will not bore you with further talk. Let the banquet begin!"

That got some more cheers out of the crowd. If there was one thing nobles seemed to like, it was a banquet. Twin doors opened on the side of the hall that led to a large room. Tables and benches had been set up there so guests could sit down and eat while the reception hall they were in now would turn into an area for dance and music. There were already musicians rushing in to set up. People were starting to form into groups and talk.

"How was it?" asked Adan as he turned to Nora.

"Your hands still give away how nervous you are," said Nora with an encouraging smile.

Adan smiled back. "You can't expect miracles from someone who grew up all alone in the woods and hadn't spoken in public until a month ago."

Nora moved in closer to him and slipped her arm under his. "You'll get there. Plenty of speeches to be given."

Adan couldn't help but notice how nice she smelled. It was like stepping into a meadow filled with blooming flowers. She had spent all morning getting ready for the event so it shouldn't have been a surprise she looked the part of a queen. She had been introduced as his wife to the nobles of his kingdom. Of course, there had been no such ceremony. They hadn't even kissed since that night in the valley. It brought back the promise she had made.