Chapter 13

“Why don't you travel with Nora.”

Adan gave Kal a surprised look. “Why?”

The bald man wiped some sweat from his forehead and leaned on his shovel. They'd dragged the bodies further away from the road and buried them. “I'm sure you have questions. She can answer them the best.”

Adan hoisted the chain mail on his shoulder. It fit him well enough that it'd be of use if another fight came their way. There were no insignias on it to mark it as inquisitor equipment so it was safe in that regard as well. They'd taken plenty of other things from the dead men as well. “If you think that's for the best.”

Kal nodded. “I think it would be.”

“All right.” They were done with the bodies so Adan started to head for the wagons.

“Adan!”

He turned around.

“You did well today,” said Kal and pulled the shovel out of the ground before resting it on his shoulder.

Adan nodded and headed for the wagons. He put the chain mail inside the wagon Jonas drove and walked past the young man on the drivers seat. He looked pale. He had not been his usual talkative self after what Nora had done to him.

He nearly died. It'll have an effect on anyone. Give him time.

Bigs and Carnes emerged from the near by woods, having completed their share of burying corpses. Carnes had been tasked with sending the horses off. They were branded as Church property so there was no safe way to keep them.

Tess emerged from Nora's wagon. She shook her head and took a deep breath.

“Everything all right?” asked Adan and stopped.

Tess rubbed her eyes. “Yeah, everything is fine. It's just.. never mind.”

“Kal told me I should travel in the back with Nora.”

She sighed. “You must have questions. Kal's right. You should talk with her.”

“We've buried the bodies. Seems everyone is about ready to head on,” said Adan.

“We're lucky no one died,” Tess muttered. She seemed to be taking the thing hard.

“We nearly did lose one,” Adan reminded and glanced back at Jonas. He was staring at his hands like they were there for the first time. The confused expression he had made it clear he was not all there just yet.

“I wish we'd had Nora with us the previous times we've ran into the inquisitors. Maybe we'd have more friends alive today.” There was a bitterness to her voice.

“Nora hasn't been with you for long then?” Since she seemed to be the leader, Adan had assumed she had been there for some time. Though given her age she can't have been the senior member in the group.

“A few years,” said Tess and looked around. Everyone had gathered from their disposal duties. It was time to move on. “Climb inside. We're moving out.”

Adan nodded and watched her go talk to the others before hoisting herself up on her horse. He didn't feel comfortable just climbing in so he knocked on the closed doors of the wagon.

“Come in, Adan,” came the voice of Nora. He did as told and opened the door to climb in. It was a far cleaner wagon than the one Kal resided in. There was a table and some soft pillows to sit on around it. The clutter of items was hidden by trunks and barrels where everything was neatly hidden away.

“Kal told me I should travel with you,” said Adan.

Nora nodded and motioned for him to sit down. She was already sitting down with a cup of some steaming liquid in front of her. She looked tired and Adan could have sworn her facial bones were showing more than usual, like something had drained the life out of her. What ever she had done it looked like it did not come without a price.