Chapter 8

"Like hell I'm not." Sydney made to push past Alexios. Seriously? He thought he could just tell her no and she'd obey? How entitled did he actually think he was?

His hand came out and manacled her upper arm, grinding her to a halt. She began pulling on his grip, panic rising above her anger. Would he really force her to stay?

"Just wait a second, Sydney, and look down there." He turned her around to face the glassed in rail and the view below. She could feel the warmth of his body close behind her, but remained stiff and unmoving in his grasp. "It would take you forever to get home in all that traffic, even if you took the back ways.

"All I'm suggesting is that you stay the night here."

Relief was a sponge, soaking up all her illogical fear. But on the heels of that relief came indignation. She turned in his grip and backed up. She couldn't think when he was this close, when he smelled like expensive cologne, and champagne, and...and man.

"I already told you I wouldn't sleep with you.--"

He puffed out an irritated sigh. "I'm not in the habit of kidnapping women. Jesus. Orrin always keeps a few suites available for our high rollers. He can well afford to provide one for you.

"Stay here tonight and then go home tomorrow."

His words made sense, and that bothered Sydney. Was she weakening toward him already, in, what, three minutes since she'd first shut him down? Was her self-control that feeble?

He waited for her answer, hands at his sides, the light breeze ruffling his hair, an open and honest expression on his face that made her narrow her eyes anyway. What was his ulterior motive? Most men like him had one.

He cracked a smile. "In fact, since you're always late for your shifts, you really should stay here the days you work, and go home on your days off. Wouldn't that make more sense?"

"To you, maybe. I go home so I can help my dad," she replied. "He's carrying Jimmy's all by himself while I work here, so I try to do what I can when I'm home."

"You're a caring daughter, Sydney." His gaze, sharp a moment ago, had softened, and the reaction made her uncomfortable. He shouldn't be that intuitive. She squirmed inside. "But he's a caring dad, and wouldn't want you driving through that mess at, what, nearly two in the morning?" He reached into his front trouser pocket, pulled out his cell phone and offered it to her. "Call him and let him know you're staying tonight. I'm sure he'll be relieved."

His hand with the phone remained outstretched, and Sydney waffled. He was right. Her father wouldn't go to bed until she was home. He'd close up Jimmy's and putter around the bar until she walked in, safe and sound. But what message would she be sending to Alexios if she relented? That, once again, he got what he wanted?

She had to admit she was weary, and the prospect of not getting home for another hour weighed heavily in Alexios's favor. Besides, it wasn't like she was agreeing to non-stop sex in his bedroom, although just the thought sent shivers through her body.