Chapter 7

She should say no.

When he raised his brows and his lips quirked up to one side while he waited for her response, Sydney reevaluated.

She should say yes.

But if she did, would he expect her to spend the night with him? Highly likely. While she found Alexios Verga undeniably attractive, she had no intention of sleeping with him and becoming yet another photo on his Google Images page. But could she stand firm in the face of his persuasive powers?

And if she did hold her ground and say no, would she forever wish she hadn't?

Each answer came with its own particular set of problems, so she temporized by blurting, "I'm not going to your room, if that's where this 'seat' is." She raised her chin to show she meant what she said, even as her pulse leapt at the flare of heat that rose in his eyes when she mentioned "his room." Oh, God, why did he have to be so fricking handsome?

"No, you're not," he replied without bite, "although that would definitely be a better place from my perspective." There was that half-smile again, and Sydney's resolve went all marshmallow-y.

He cocked a hip and raised his hands holding the champagne and glasses. "You don't have to worry about a repeat of Saturday's poor behavior from me. I really just want to show you a view I know you won't have gotten anywhere else. As well as make a toast to the auspicious beginning of our new business arrangement. I promise."

She caved.

When she added up his tall, lean good looks, his obvious interest in her made evident by that blistering kiss of a week ago, and her weak-kneed response to it, Sydney knew she wouldn't say no. She may still be angry at his initial underhanded method of getting her assistance, but the way in which money flowed at The Midas Touch told her she was doing the right thing for her dad. Of course it was for her dad.

Though, if she was honest with herself, she also wanted to spend time with Alexios Verga, blast her soul.

"I'll hold you to your word, Mr. Verga," she said at last. A few of the cleaning crew watched with curiosity as he led her toward the ballroom's rear exit, but Sydney squared her shoulders and followed him. It didn't matter what anyone else thought. She knew what she would allow to happen. And what she wouldn't.

"We're going to the service elevator," he announced, fishing a keyring out of the front pocket of his suit pants while transferring the champagne and stemware to one hand.

"And where does it go that the other elevators don't?" Sydney couldn't camouflage the suspicious tone in her voice, but Alexios simply turned to her with a wry grin. He'd smiled more in these last few minutes than he had during all the short time they'd known each other.

"Relax, Sydney. I'm not going to jump your bones."

The elevator doors glided open and she took a cautious step inside.

"Yet." He chuckled when she whipped around to face him, but by then he'd inserted the key into another slot on the inner control panel and the elevator doors whooshed closed. They were left facing each other in silence while the car began a rapid ascent, the floors chiming past at regular intervals.

He'd leaned one elegant shoulder against the opposite wall, and Sydney fought the urge to join him over there. With the five o'clock shadow along his jaw and the loosened tie at his tanned throat, it was hard not to imagine they were on their way up to his room for an extended romp in his private playground.

 Lord knew she was turning to Jell-O beneath his slumberous regard, which never left her face, as well as from his suggestive answer. Thank goodness the elevator pinged its destination just then. She directed her flustered attention to the doors sliding wide. And couldn't control the gasp of surprise at what spread out before her.