Unlikely Tattoo - Renji Abarai x Reader

A/N: This is a pretty long one, I think. Didn't even mean it to be that long. Anyway, I think I got away from the whole tattoo thing for a while but whatev. Tbh the ending is something, idk what, but it is.

Also, I didn't have anyone proof-read it but it should be ok. If you find a mistake please tell me so I can correct it!

PS: I like how I didn't have the Reader talk for the longest time in this one and that she's suppose to be a really pain in the butt to her friends by messing around with them but totes respects authority or at least that's how I want her to come off as.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It may sound cliché but you had always admired your Lieutenant. For his power, his sword, and sometimes his smarts. His long hair, his eyes, lips, body.... But, you had to say that you admired his tattoos the most.

They were just so cool and sexy on him but you would never, ever tell him that. For many reasons, actually.

Reason One: Because he would never let go the fact that you had complimented him.

Reason Two: Because unknowingly to you, you absolutely loved him as a person. Though you didn't know you loved him, you just thought it was a strong admiration and that everyone went through it. But apparently a lot of other people knew and pushed for your "togetherness."

Hell, even your CAPTAIN left subtle comments about how you two were good for each other. Whether it was on a mission or getting paperwork done!

Whenever you went to the world of the living you always looked at the different types of tattoos that some people had, always wanting one. You didn't want a huge tattoo but not a super small one.

And then one day it hit you like a stack of bricks. Sadly, it woke you up from a pretty decent dream which meant you didn't really have time to, legit, think it through. You just knew that you could get a tattoo of Renji's and be able to be a little closer to him!

Throughout the day, whenever you could, you would think about it. How cool it would be, how much more closer you would be to him, but you never thought about how he would react to it. You decided to wait a little bit before actually doing it. You had to think of where you would want it and how big it was to be but besides that you were good to go.

The day went by slowly and you realized you hadn't seen Renji in a while. You were going to shrug it off when you were summoned to see Rukia, which was pretty weird because you two barely ever talked. Only pleasantries were spoken whenever you would see each other.

You excused yourself from working with your Captain, to fill in for Renji since he wasn't there, to go see her and ask her what was wrong.

By the time you got to the 13th Division, you noticed how empty everything seemed. Most people would be walking about and it concerned you that no one was out.

“Geez. Since when did everyone decide to take it easy?” You muttered to yourself before thinking about that tattoo. And while you were, you realized you had missed something. “What if he thinks it's weird?” You thought, stopping yourself from going on any farther. “What if he thinks I'm weird?”

You sighed, “I'm so stupid! Now I'll have to think of another thing! Ugh, I can't believe this!” By the time you got to the 13th Division you had already mentally punished yourself for not thinking about how weird you would look.

When you reacted the door to where Rukia would be, you heard a bit of a commotion. Being the little eavesdropper that you were, you decided to listen in on the heated argument.

“Ichigo, I already told you it wouldn't work out!”

“Well, I think you're being stupid!”

Obviously, the two arguing were none other than Renji, that cutie, and Ichigo, one of your greatest friends since he first came to the Soul Society.

“There is no way that someone like her would like me!”

You bit your lip at that line before removing your ear from the door. In your mind it was obvious, by that line, that Renji was talking about Rukia because who else would he like? Surely, not you.

You decided that this whole thing was a waste of your precious time so, you left and went back to your home. Your lovely captain had already said that you didn't need to come back after your chat with Rukia. That night you swore a few tears escaped your eyes while you slept.

--

The next morning you woke up, bright and early, to get caught up on any left-over paperwork that your Captain didn't get to last night. You did your morning routine before leaving your home. But before you could even get out the door, you tripped over something.

You groaned and mentally yelled at yourself for not watching where you were going before examining the thing left on your door step.

It happened to be the cutest, little stuffed animal-thing ever! You gently picked it up before noticing the note underneath it. You smiled before taking the note and stuffed animal back into your home so you could place it somewhere.

After shutting the door and placing the stuffed animal on your bed, you decided to read the note. You realized that it was still pretty darn early so you could spare a few moments to read a nice-looking note.

Dear ____,

I don't really know how to put this into the “correct” words, but I really like you. Like more than a friend and I know how much you love stuffed animals because Ichigo told me so and that's why I got you this guy. Anyway, we barely even talk and it's probably weird that you're getting a note from someone you work with but I've been persuaded to do this by Ichigo (and Rukia), that (those) idiot(s).

If you don't feel the same, that's okay too but if you could tell me that would be great.

Signed, Renji.

You blushed a bit at the note. Normally, you would have laughed so hard if it happened to someone else because the guy should have just told the girl up front! Then again, you should have told Renji how you felt anyway so, you just giggled at how stupid you could be.

You decided that you would pretend to not know anything about the note but you would know about the stuffed animal.

--

“Lieutenant Abarai, May I have a word with you?”

“Sure, ___” Renji said before excusing himself from his conversation with Rukia, who looked pleased that you were talking to Renji.

“So, this morning I happened to trip over something on my door-step. Did you leave it there?” It was obvious to you (and whoever is reading this) that you did indeed know he left something there but why not prolong this, just for fun?

“Well... what was it?” He said rubbing the back of his neck.

“A stuffed animal, which is so weird because I absolutely hate them.” You almost laughed at your lie when you noticed he was looking a bit concerned.

“God damn!” He said while hiding his face in his hand. Luckily for him, you dragged him away from where people would see you two.

Sadly, you lost your composure at this outburst and had to silence your chuckles with your hand.

“___!” Renji yelled, after he realized you knew all along.

“Haha! I couldn't help myself! I'm sorry!” You said between giggles. “I hope you can forgive me!”

“I don't know if I can.” Your giggled quieted down at this before Renji started to laugh. “Your face!”

“Oh, shut up!” You said before smacking his arm and smirking.

“So, what do you say?” He said, after he stopped laughing.

“What do I say about what? You never asked me a question, ya know!”

“Will you, ya know, go out with me?”

“Of course, idiot!” You said before kissing him on the cheek, “As long as-!” He raised an eyebrow at this.

“I can get a cool tattoo, just like yours!”