5 | fudgesicle

For the first time in three days, I got to sleep in. Even though the earliest shifts at Franny's didn't start until eleven, that meant I had to be up and out of bed by ten, something I considered painful. If I could help it, I stayed in bed until noon, Puddle on my feet, the constant grumble of my stomach the only reminder that I would have to enter the real world eventually.

But then Carter called me at seven am, a time of the morning that I usually pretend doesn't exist.

"Go back to bed," I groaned into the phone.

"No way, man," he replied, his voice far too crisp, like he'd already been up for hours. "If I get up this early on days when I'm not hungover, it cancels out how late I sleep after coming home from a party at 5 am, drunk off my ass."

"I don't think that's how it works."

"Plus, this is peak doing-stuff time."

"Like calling me?"

"And jogging."

"Jogging? At seven oh three am? Please love yourself."

"I need to revel in all those endorphins and shit."

I propped myself up on one elbow, still groggy. Maybe, after our phone call ended, I would still be drowsy enough to fall back asleep. "Is there a reason you're calling me? Other than to talk about exercise."

"Rosa."

"Rosa?"

"Yeah," he confirmed. "Kind of short, Mexican, red ombre at the ends of her hair? Know her?"

"I can't believe you remembered it was called 'ombre,'" I said, impressed.

"It is called ombre? Dude, I totally thought I got that wrong."

I rolled my eyes. "What about Rosa?"

"How did she seem? Yesterday. When I skipped out on her."

"Upset," I said, automatically, "obviously. You know how that girl feels about you."

"Well, no, actually –"

"Shut up, Carter," I groaned. "You know she likes you."

"I do?"

"If you say anything that stupid again, I'm hanging up on you," I threatened. My desired effect was ruined when I yawned into the phone.

"Dude, she doesn't like me."

"I'm hanging up on you."

"Do it, I dare –"

Click.

The first thing I did was text Rosa. What was the saying? 'Chicks before dicks?' Carter was definitely not a dick, but Rosa was, even more definitely, my chick.

Me (7:14): carter feels really bad about 'skipping out on you' yesterday

Rosa Jimenez (7:32): why the HECK are you awake

Rosa Jimenez (7:33): what else did he say

Me (7:35): that you'er one smoking hot babe

Me (7:35): *you're

Rosa Jimenez (7:37): I know you'er lying

Rosa Jimenez (7:39): he thinks veronica is a smoking hot babe

Me (7:39): WHAT no

Rosa Jimenez (7:45): I'm coming over

My dad looked surprised to see me come down the stairs. "Early bird gets the worm, am I right?" he said, concluding his question with a chuckle. He cracked himself up.