Game Over

I ran as fast as I could through the forest, the small needles on the branches of the tall pine trees scratching me through my thin blue shirt, the cold white snow dampening my old worn running shoes. I have to get away; I have to do what I have always done - run.

If they catch me it is over; if they catch me my mother gave her life for nothing.

'Too alarming now to talk about

Take your pictures down and shake it out

Truth or consequence, say it out loud

Use that evidence, race it around'

Mum never liked lullabies; she thought that they were not real music and that even kids should listen to great artists like Foo Fighters. That was her favorite band. I never really liked them and preferred other bands like Green Day and Led Zeppelin. Mum always tried to get me to like them, by singing me to sleep every night with her favorite song by them - My Hero.

Mum loved music...and games.

"It's just a game Carrie, like when we played tag around the park when you were a kid, but this time if they catch you it's game over. This backpack has all you'll need. You have to leave. Run as fast as you can and don't look back. Now go! Run!"

I started running as fast as my legs could take me out the back door, but just before I lost sight of her I took one look back. As my mother was mouthing I love you, a bullet embedded itself in her skull.

From then on I ran and never stopped.

'There goes my hero

Watch him as he falls

There goes my hero

He's ordinary'

After Mother was killed I sang myself to sleep with My Hero every night.

I am now seventeen and have been running since my mother was killed. The only times I stop are to eat and sleep. Several times they have found me, but I have always gotten away.

'Don't the best of them bleed it out

While the rest of them peter out

Truth or consequence say it aloud

Use that evidence race it around'

I can still remember the slight pinch as the needle penetrated my skin, the feel of the cool liquid racing through my veins desperate to hit its target – my heart. I remember the feel as the liquid mixed with blood sending a painful, yet somewhat pleasurable feeling that echoed throughout my whole body. Then came a surge of...power as they mixed together as one.

I remember my mother's sad eyes as she removed the needle from my arm, her warm embrace as she tried to silently soothe me.

"Carrie listen to me. What I just injected you with was an experimental project I worked on in my early years as a genetic scientist.

This experiment was a mix of cheetah DNA that when inserted into the bloodstream of a human would give the human the abilities of a cheetah. The only abilities we were actually able to harness was the ability of super speed, but unlike the cheetah the human is able to run over long distances without stopping. I don't have enough time to explain more and it would be better if you didn't know much about it, but what I can tell you is who the agents surrounding the house work for. They work for a company that specialize in genetic mutations called Signal Fire. Once they find out that you are now the carrier of the formula they will try and catch you. You can't let them catch you Carrie. If they get their hands on the formula all hell will break loose. They will either use you, or get rid of you if you prove to be no use. These people are not good people, they will do whatever possible to get what they want – even kill." She whispered into my ear whilst caressing me ever so gently.