The Facebook Stalker -- Chapter 17

With trembling hands, Kate flipped open the phone, answering it, and held it to her ear without saying anything.

“Well, hello, Kate.” The voice that came from the other end was male, but had some sort of voice distorter on it. The scene from the first ‘Scream’ movie flashed in Kate’s mind where ‘Sidney’s’ boyfriend and his friend are the killers that had been running around the entire movie killing everyone in the name of revenge. They had voice distorters, also, and ‘Pete’s’ voice now, sounded like the actors’ in the movie. 

“I was beginning to wonder if you were going to answer,” ‘Pete’ continued. Kate remained silent. She was too scared to form any words. She had plenty to ask him, but her tongue had seemed to have forgotten how to work. What impeccable timing.

“Aww.. You don’t want to speak to me?” ‘Pete’s’ voice had a sing-song tone to it, almost taunting her. Still, Kate’s lips remained sealed, her eyes focused on her clock on the nightstand. “No questions? Comments? Concerns?” he asked. There was humor in his voice, it was as if he was trying to hold back laughter. Wicked, evil, twisted laughter. 

“W-why me?” Kate’s tongue and voice box finally decided to start cooperating together, and formed the two words, although slightly stammered, and barely audible, they were there. She had spoken to this lunatic.

“Why not?” came the electronic sounding voice. Kate could tell he was amused, enjoying his little game. 

“W-what did I ever do to you?” Kate’s voice was still very quiet, barely above a whisper.

“Oh, nothing, really.” Kate could just picture this ‘Pete’ looking over his fingernails, growing bored of the questions Kate asked, that he knew he’d never answer. “Think about it, dear Kate. You’re practically the perfect little victim.”

“W-what do you mean?” Kate was confused. In all the horror movies, the actress was some dumb girl, running up the stairs instead of out an exit door, her long hair and big breasts bouncing along the whole way. Kate was pretty much the exact opposite of those movies. At least, in her opinion she was. ‘Pete’ must have a different perspective.

When he spoke again, his voice sounded hurt, but Kate knew it was all just an act. A sick, sick act. “Ohh, Katie. You mean to tell me you really can’t see it? Here, let me paint you a quick picture: big doe-eyes, little innocent, naïve Katie. Coming from that small, quaint little town of Glendale to come to college in the big, bad Windy City. All alone. Catch my drift now, sweetie?” His voice taunted her. Whether it was his goal or not, he had struck a small nerve.

“Don’t call me ‘sweetie.’ I’m definitely not your ‘sweetie.’ Just leave me alone!” There was anger lining Kate’s voice. Unknowingly, a tear slipped silently down Kate’s cheek. “How do you know where I’m from, anyways?” Kate dared asking the question, and then figured he probably wouldn’t answer her straight anyway. He didn’t. Not really. 

“Oh, Kate. I know so much more than you think that I do.” Kate could hear the smile in his voice, even if it was distorted. Kate couldn’t think of a response. Her mind had run blank. After a moment’s silence, ‘Pete’ said, “Well, Kate. It’s been great talking with you, even if you didn’t say much. I will be looking quite forward to calling you again. Real soon.” 

“Not if I don’t answer.” Kate managed to choke out. She, for one, didn’t want to ever talk to him again. 

“Oh, but you wouldn’t dare do that. You will answer when I call. I don’t care where you are or what you’re doing. You answer my phone call.” The threat was plain as day in his voice. After a brief pause, he added, “Oh, and Kate?”

“Yeah?” she squeaked out.

“Don’t bother going to the police. They’re no help to you. There’s no way to trace the call, or to track me. Besides, going to the police would only cause more problems and heartbreak for you. I’d really hate for anything to happen to sweet little Megan. Or your loving parents that care about you SO much. Really, it’s sickening. Or even something happening to your adorable, loyal friend, Freckles. What a great dog he is.” And with that, the line went dead.

Kate held the phone out in front of her, staring at it. ‘He knows my friends and family back home? Freckles?’ Kate thought. Gently laying the phone on her nightstand, worry etched itself across Kate’s features. 

If she couldn’t go to the cops, what could she do? Exactly what ‘Pete’ wanted her to do. Sit here and worry herself sick, revolving her life around his phone calls. He was in control now. The ball was in his court, so to speak, and he had no intentions of passing it to her.

Kate was all cried out. Kate sat at the head of her bed, drawing her knees up to her chin and wrapping her arms around her shins. Kate was so lost, so confused. 

So scared.

Unconsciously, Kate started rocking back and forth on her bed. Her mind was  blank. She couldn’t leave because of school. She didn’t want to lose her scholarship that she had worked her whole school career to achieve. Even if she could, and did, leave, where would she go? Not to Glendale. ‘Pete’ obviously knew where she lived, knew about her friends and family. He seemed to know every detail about her.

Untangling her arms from around her legs, Kate got up from her bed. She dug in the closet until she had found her blue duffel bag. It was an old, tattered thing, she’d had it for years. Unzipping it, she pulled out her childhood toy, and friend. It was an old ragged teddy bear, Mr. Snuggles. Kate used to sleep with him every night when she was a child. And she used to hug him close to her when she was scared. But never, as far as Kate could remember, had she ever been as scared as a child as she was right now. 

Slipping under her blankets, Kate held Mr. Snuggles tight. The last thing she remembered before drifting off into another restless sleep was looking at her alarm clock on the nightstand. It read 1:43am.

****