The Facebook Stalker -- Chapter 2

• Dedicated to my FB friends and family.. thank you and love you all!

WEDNESDAY

Seven the next morning seemed to arrive extra early. Stretching next to her bed, Kate threw on some clothes and quickly went through her morning ritual: hair, contacts, make up, perfume. Grabbing her folder, she grabbed her laptop off the desk and put it in the satchel carrying case. She headed down the stairs and down the sidewalk to the coffee shop a block or so down the street. She needed something in her stomach before her busy day finally got started. After a hot mocha cappuccino, and two crème filled chocolate donuts, Kate walked the few blocks to the college campus. Her tour was to start at nine, and it was already 8:30 by the time she arrived at the meeting spot listed on one of her information papers. 

Kate looked around taking in her surroundings. She was in the ‘commons’ area. There was a section with couches, recliners, end tables, and a large flat screen television. Behind that, there were a few tables and chairs for students to eat or study on. Sweeping her eyes over the tables, she saw soda and snack machines, and then half of a concrete wall that had pool tables on the other side, along with more chairs, tables, and a couple smaller flat screen TV’s mounted by the ceiling in a couple corners. Back by the couches, there were stairs that led to lockers and some of the teacher’s offices. An information office was in the middle, overlooking the commons area. 

Posters littered the walls. It seemed there were ‘sections’ of pictures dedicated to what the people in the picture represented: leaders and revolutionaries, such as Ben Franklin, Martin Luther King Jr., and Winston Churchill. Another area had artists and entertainers such as Da Vinci, Shakespeare, and Mark Twain. Lance Armstrong, Mother Theresa, Albert Einstein, Susan B. Anthony, and Rosa Parks also adorned the walls. Along the top of one area, were pictures of all the U.S. Presidents, all the way down to the current president, Barack O’Bama. 

Next to the entrance doors was a cork messaging board. Students and staff were sporadically seated around the commons. Kate wondered how many were also here for the tour that was about to start. They had four tours a day, that had started on Monday. Today was Wednesday, so there were six left. Only ten to fifteen people were in each tour group. Not all were necessarily set out to be doctors, but they were all in the medical field for one thing or another. 

Kate sat down on a nearby sofa and pulled out her laptop. There were still fifteen minutes before the tour was to start, so she pulled up Facebook and logged into her newly made account. The friends that she had ‘requested’ last night had accepted, and there were some requests pending for her to accept. Scanning the list, they were all friends from her old high school, plus two cousins. She quickly accepted them all. 

Hearing a strong male voice, Kate looked up. “Ladies and gentlemen that are here for the campus tour, please raise your hand.” Raising her hand and looking around Kate quickly counted eleven other people with their hands raised also. 

The man that had spoke was younger-aged, maybe in his thirties. He had short dark hair, small silver rimmed glasses, and was clean shaven. He had a clipboard in one arm with papers on it and a pen sticking halfway under the clasp holding the papers in place. He had on a navy short sleeved polo shirt and dark khaki pants and brown loafers. He had a very scholarly look to him. “Great. If you will all follow me just outside the doors here, we can get started. The tour should take about an hour or so.” Gathering her things, Kate followed in line with the students here for the tour and they congregated outside waiting for further directions. The man came through the door last, and glancing over everybody, he cleared his throat.

“Welcome to Chicago’s college of medicine, I hope everyone is well settled into their dorm rooms a few blocks from here, or wherever it is that you might be staying. My name is Jason Nichols, and I will be leading this tour, obviously. We will stop after each ‘section,’ if you will, to answer any questions that you might think of. So, with that, lets get started. You’ve already seen the commons area. A lot of students go there to relax, hang out, watch tv, et cetera, between classes. Above that, up the stairs, if you hadn’t already noticed, were a few teacher’s offices, and an information area, and lockers. On the side wall of the information office is a large campus map for your use, and smaller campus maps in the holder next to it. We try to keep them stocked, so feel free to grab one at your next opportunity.” Pulling out a pen from her purse, Kate made a note at the top of the tour’s information sheet in her folder to grab a map later.