Nine

"So where are we going?" Liyah tried not to ask but she hated the angst feeling of not knowing where she was headed. They had already passed the movie theatre and Liyah got the feeling that something was up.

Chance tapped his fingers on the steering wheel as he waited for the stoplight to turn green. "Just a little spot downtown."

"What happened to the movies."

"Well there's nothing interesting out and since you're not into Rom-coms, change of plans."

"Okay." Liyah tried humming to get her mind off of wanting to ask again but after awhile she just sighed and did it anyways. "What spot?"

Chance chuckled. "G, can you relax?"

"I just don't like not knowing where it is that I'm headed."

"Well you can calm down, we're just going to get something to eat."

"All you have to do is tell me-"

"No." Chance turned on the radio to a hip hop station and started bobbing his head to the throwback Diddy lyrics.

"Fine," Liyah mumbled as she leaned back into her seat with folded arms. "Whatever."

She closed her eyes and listened to the music until she felt the car come to a stop. She leaned forward and looked out the window before furrowing her eyebrows. "What's this?"

"Dana's. Hole in the wall. Great music, great soul food."

"How do you even know about this place?"

"A friend and I had a double date and I've heard about this place around the way and figured I'd try it out."

"How was it?" Liyah asked trying to seem as if she meant the restaurant and not the date.

"The date was cool I suppose, I guess we didn't click." Chance smirked and Liyah looked down at her hands. "But I loved the restaurant. Are you finished playing twenty questions now? Cause a dude could eat."

Liyah rolled her eyes and got out of the car, and allowed Chance to take her hand and lead her into Dana's.

The warm air, along with the cheerful chatter, delicious aroma, and jazz music welcomed her and pulled her in an accepting manner. 

Chance and Liyah Sat themselves in a booth in the corner of the restaurant and waited for someone to come wait on them.

The colorful fluorescent lights put Liyah even more at ease and she observed the art work on the walls around them.

There were picture of African women in long sheer gowns and crowns, and men with crowns on their heads as well. There was a painting of a dancing Hispanic woman with long curly hair and a painting of a man playing the bongos.

She looked around the restaurant and took in the smiling faces and the laughter, some Hispanic, a few white, and an Asian couple, mostly black. Every one was relaxed and unwinded that the mood rubbed off on her.

She leaned back into the chair and let the jazz music serenade her while Chance did something on his phone. After a moment he put the phone down on the table. "I was texting my mom. This place has a nice vibe right?"

Liyah nodded. "I see why you like it."

"That and the food isn't bad." He smiled and Liyah returned it.

A waitress who looked to be in her twenties came to the table and smiled as she fumbled with the flower in her hair. "Welcome to Dana's."

"Dana isn't here tonight?" Chance asked as he picked up his menu and Liyah did the same.