Lightening Strikes

Lyaen's eyes lazily travelled from one point of the barren landscape to another, constantly holding her wonderful, sweet Braen.Why do you always have to carry all the weight? She thought, emphasizing for her dear friend. Suddenly, a burst of light blazed across the sky and Lyaen gasped. Instantly Braen was on his feet in a defensive pose, blocking her from harm.

"It's okay! It was just a shooting star" soothed Lyaen, feeling bad for worrying him.

"Oh" Braen relaxed and settled his arm around her, his face the slightest touch of red.

Lyaen grinned, "You're blushing" Braen blushed harder, rubbing his face with his free hand and mumbling a denial.

"What did you wish for?"asked Braen, a bit playfully.

"If I tell you, it won't come true" Lyaen shot back, just as light, but in her mind her thoughts were serious. This wish had to come true.

"i know what I wished for" Braen commented, squeezing her hand and giving a small, pained smile. That's how she knew their wishes were the same: for the other to be safe.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I rubbed my aching eyes; a product of a two hour onslaught of computer screen light. Settling back into one of  the cheap library chairs I glanced around the fortress of reading. There was an anime die hard in the corner, surrounded by a selection of racy manga, and I grinned at the nasty looks the librarian was giving him.

"Nice view?" I jumped so hard, the chair leg screeched against the tile, causing the few occupants of the library to give bookish glares. I reciprocated one at the guy presently standing behind, who was of course Storm.

"Stalker" I muttered and he raised his eyebrows but chose to say nothing. Instead he leaned down to peek at what I was searching for. Scrambling for the mouse, I clicked out of the window, but not fast enough.

"Wind?" was his comment, a strange expression marking his features.

"A research paper," I lied, then added nastily "Not that it's any of your bussiness"

Now the eyebrows shot up, hurt flashing through Storm's eyes, "Woah what brought that on" I'd had enough. Abruptly, I stood, putting the chair solidly between us as if protecting myself for what i was about to say.

"Look. i know you don't like me. Whatever. You don't even freaking know me, but whatever. You don't have to like me, I could care less. But i do care about you following me around just to patronize me!" I shoved the chair at him, making a deafening scrape in the quiet, and stomped away. Storm pushed the chair away and stumbled after me.

"Hey when did I say  I didn't like you?"

"It's what you don't say,which really pisses me off. Why don't you come out and say it?" I turned on him, making him almost run into me. Adrenaline was coursing through me, feeding on my temper. I jus wanted to get this over and done with. I didn't want to see him. I didn't want to hear him. I didn't want to keep thinking about how his lips were inches from mine.

"Say what?" His face had an out of breath look to it, like his brain was trying desperately to catch up to the recent events. Good. He can suffer.

"That you think I'm a spoiled brat. A snob. A bitch" I almost caved at his confused expression, but it was probably just an act anyway.

"I don't think that about you" That' when my temper really flared.

Not caring that we were in the middle of the school hallway, with plenty of onlookers I let loose on him, "Don't lie to me! I saw your face when you saw me at my house. Don't try to deny it. And I bet your mom has told me all about how awful my mother and her friends are. But I'm not her. I'm not."