Chapter 6: Protecting Dignity (part III )

I wonder how much it cost to rent the gathering  place , it was huge  .

Ah , here is the kitchen , well I guess I can stay here for a while .

I didn't really want to leave just because of some water on my black dress which was barely noticeable .I just wanted to take a break from all  the tension going on there . 

I grabbed a chair and sat .  Then I lifted my eyes to notice a collection of old books . Having a weak spot for old books , I tried to grab one but the shelf was higher than I expected .Normally I would have just used the chair but this dress made it impossible for me to even consider it .So I just jumped , even though I wouldn't really call it a jump . 

SHIT !!

not only did I fail to grab the book but I also made the plastic bowl next to it  fall directly on my head . 

This is definitely not my day .. 

I suddenly felt a body pressing on my back and I made the stupid mistake to turn around .My lips were less than two inches apart from his jaw line and it took me a while to understood that Gabriel was trying to put the bowl back  in its right place . 

While his hand was reaching for the shelf , his left hand was on the kitchen cabinet  which made it impossible for me to move.

I felt like I was trapped in a bubble under water and it was hard to breath . My knees weakened as I was able to feel  the heat of his body  .  

 I  had no idea  that the smell of soap and shampoo can make a body feel this numb .His scent was intoxicating .

He then took away the few inches between our bodies and leaned his head next to my left ear and softly whispered into it :

"is this what you wanted ?"   

heh ? What does he mean ? ......What I want ......Is he talking about the book?

Gabriel didn't move away and I was feeling his breath next to my ear .I couldn't find the strength to get away from him ... or maybe I didn't want to.

My body was burning inside and out . My voice wouldn't come out .My heart stole all the energy I had

I had to take control over myself again so I focused and finally found the strength to speak and now how I wish I didn't :

" No thanks , I'll be going now .....David is probably waiting  for me ."

Why in the world did I have to mention David  ! ....God , I'm really pathetic ..

My reply didn't receive an answer and instead there was this awkward silence  .

After more than two minutes passed , Gabriel suddenly put his hands on my shoulders and in a quick move turned us both around in a way that he was the one leaning on the cabinet  .

He looked at me with an empty gaze for few  seconds before he gently yet firmly shoved me in the direction of the door  and he said to me with a rather composed and calm voice :

"Go then !"

My mind wasn't really keeping track of what was happening and I hesitated before I finally turned around and left . I was expecting him to follow me for he had to go back as well ..but he didn't .