Chapter Four

Jesse’s POV

        We pulled up to Jane’s parents’ house, one memory always stuck out here. The day Jane made me admit to her I liked Adrian. She was the reason we got together and I will always be grateful to her for that. However she wasn’t the same Jane we knew and loved, she changed and it wasn’t for the best either.

        “Come on Jane said just to walk in, that the is open.” Adrian grabbed my hand as we walked towards the front door; we walked in and headed towards the living room.

         “Uncle Adrian and Uncle Jay are here mommy!” a little girl with   curly hair came running towards us. I kneeled down and opened my arms for her to jump in and lifted her off the floor.

        “How is my baby girl Wendy?” she giggled as I kissed her on the cheek.

         “Fine Uncle Jay,” she hugged me tight. “Did you bring me anything?”

         “Hum I don’t know let me check,” I reached into my pocket and pulled a five dollar bill. “Well I really didn’t get you anything, but how does five dollars sound?” I held it up in front of her and she took it.

          “Thank you Uncle Jay,” she kissed me on the cheek and I placed her down on the floor. She ran off yelling, “Mommy, uncle Jay gave me five dollars! Now do I have enough for the bike?” Adrian chuckled as he hugged me.

        “She needs twenty more dollars for the bike she wants.” Jane said as she joined us. She had changed her appearance since she had Wendy. She reminded me a lot of my mom, she was unhappy with how her life came out but she loved Wendy more than anything.

          “Jane I missed you so much,” Adrian hugged her.

           “I missed you too Adrian and happy birthday.” It had broken Adrian’s heart when Wendy’s father left Jane while she was seven months pregnant. We all thought for sure he was the one for her, but we were wrong. He just wasn’t ready to start a family so young and left Jane at the altar. Since that day she hasn’t heard a word from him.

         It had turned her once hyper and bubbly personality into a person I didn’t even know anymore. She tried to hide her sadness from everyone, but we knew she was. She could hide behind a fake smile from most, but her eyes were always filled with sadness.

         Adrian worried about her a lot; he just wanted her to be happy again. But her heart I fear is beyond the ability to love again. She really loved Tony and to have him walk away from her like that ruined her.

         “Jesse nice to see you, how have you been?” she hugged me.

           “Things have been great just looking forward to my last summer alone with the hubby, how about you?”

          “Good, Wendy keeps me on my toes.” Wendy came back with a paper in her hand. She stood in front of me and tugged on my arm. I kneeled down next to her.

          “Uncle Jay,” she held the paper up to me to see. “See this is the bike I want to buy.” I looked at the picture again; it was a pink and purple bike with a wicker basket and a sliver bell. It truly was a bike made just for her.

        “Oh that’s a pretty cool bike and just how much do you need to buy it?”

         “Mommy says I need twenty more.” She gave me her best sad puppy dog eyes, damn Adrian for teaching her that. They knew that I had a weakness when people I love gave me those eyes.