Day 16: July 14 (Tuesday)

~ Peach's POV ~

"Peach," someone shakes me awake. "Peach. We need to get ready."

"Huh?" I slowly open my eyes to see that the person who woke me up is Toadette.

"Wilderness backpacking today, remember?" she says. I check the time on my phone. It's 5 a.m.

"Why so early?" I whine.

"Well, we only got like six hours of sleep. Maybe you'd feel better if we slept at 9 last night like Daisy," Toadette states.

"Where is the weirdo?" I murmur.

"She went outside a few minutes ago, she's already prepared to leave. I am, too," Toadette replies. "Peach, I really think it's time for you to get ready now." Aww. I was about to fall asleep again. I'm not the kind of girl who wakes up after lunchtime, but I'm not a natural early riser either.

"Fine," I force myself to stand up and get ready to go backpacking.

We were informed of this in advance. Basically we'll all be taking a super long hike, one that's so long that we won't be back until tomorrow afternoon. I know this trip will be exhausting, but everyone is going to be in it.

I manage to stop myself from screaming when the especially cold shower water hits me, fully waking me up.

*later, at lunch*

After walking up a hill, we stop to eat. The provided lunch is pasta salad.

"Peach, is it okay if I stay with Mona for lunch?" Toadette asks me.

"Yeah," I answer. At least she told me first. If she didn't, I might think she's ditching me.

Well since Toadette's gone for now, I just take a seat on the grass. It's better than sitting on the dirt, in my opinion.

It turns out that I don't spend lunch alone. A brunette, grey-eyed girl sits next to me and even though I've never really talked to her before, I know her name is Pauline. We don't speak for a minute or so, focusing on our meals instead.

"Hi," Pauline lifts a hand towards me after awhile. "We've never actually chatted, but I think you know me as Pauline." 

 "Yeah," I shake hands with her. "And you know me as Peach." 

 "How are you?" Pauline asks. 

 "I'm fine, thanks," I answer. "You?" 

"Same," Pauline says. 

"Do you like this camp?" I question. 

"Definitely!" Pauline states. "Do you?" 

"Yeah," I tell her. "But, it would be better if my stupid cousin Daisy wasn't around." I think Pauline is really nice AND really pretty. I hope to be good friends with her. 

 As we continue eating, I notice that she constantly glances at the large group of guys that are several feet away from us. 

"You like one of them, don't you?" I speak up. 

"What?" Pauline immediately turns to look at me. "Umm... Yeah." Aww, that's cute. 

"Would you mind telling me who?" I say. 

"You seem trustworthy, so I guess I can tell you," Pauline replies, and then she says a name that I don't really hear. 

 "Who?" I ask.