Chapter 6

Emily

"Are you sure you don't wanna stay the night?" Michael asked for the nth time tonight. "I mean, its already late."

"Yeah." I nodded and we just stood in front of the door.

"You don't want me to walk you home?" He asked, his eyes getting wider by the second.

"Yeah." I chuckled. "I wouldn't want you tripping over grass with your long legs."

"Ha ha. Very funny." He rolled his eyes.

I reached for the doorknob and twisted it open, stepping out into the dark night.

"Night, Mike." I smiled up at him.

"Night." He said and hugged me tightly. "Don't rhyme my name." He mumbled through the top of my head.

I lightly pushed him back inside his house and waved him goodbye.

Once the door was fully shut, I let out a breath that I didn't know I was holding. I couldn't bring myself to walk way. Not just yet. I ran a hand through my hair, my fingers getting stuck in the tangles.

I knew he was still there. The small shadow revealed his presence under the door.

I couldn't find it in me to go back home. The memories just kept playing one after the other. I wanted it to stop. I wanted to disappear. I wanted to forget it.

Because of him, I feared every guy. I feared the knives, the daylight, new people, and I definitely feared my own family. I was afraid that if I ever tell them about what he did, they would brush it off and accuse me of being on my period. I knew Finn wouldn't do that. He knows when I'm lying, he knows when I'm not, he knows me like the back of his hand and I was happy because I have someone by my side.

I can't go home. I just can't. It has been a little over two years since I broke up with him. I told myself that I shouldn't be afraid for he was just a childish asshole with a demonic personality, but it only terrified me even more. I knew what he was capable of and I knew that if he was not capable of doing a certain thing, he would definitely force himself to be. Until he was good, until he was great.

I never had a friend because of him. He wanted me all for himself and it was stupid. When I'm sad, I had no one to comfort me. I had no one to make me smile. Even during the times I was still with him, he wouldn't care. Why would he? He never had a heart or a soul. Believe me, I've witnessed it.

I was a loner.

"Michael?" I called, hoping he was still standing there.

It only took a few seconds before he swung the door open. I took two big steps towards him and wrapped my arms around his waist, burying my face on his chest.

"Don't be sad." He whispered, rubbing small circles on my back.

"I'm trying." I said, feeling the tears run down my cheeks.

"Wanna come inside?"

I nodded, still hugging him. Michael slowly brought us inside the house, quietly locking the door.

The sound of his light heartbeat calmed me down. I almost forgot about why I was even sad.

I wanted to tell Michael about it, but I don't know if I should. I just wanted to get this out so I could clear my head and peacefully sleep at night.

I'll tell him soon. I don't know if I should trust him just yet. He has been really nice to me, but I still don't know.

"Penny for your thoughts?" He asked, breaking the silence between us.