Maybe

warning-sad.

/MAYBE/

She stood a little shorter than him, her long bushy hair clipped back, her brown eyes wavering a little as he gestured for everyone to walk away.

He turned his pretend-disgust expression into a smirk, and reached for her hand.

That's when she pulled back. But he tried not to look confused, instead, said softly, "want to go somewhere else?"

She knew he was referring to yesterday; strawberries and the oak tree and soft kisses. It was bliss. But now it was hurting her. Because her eyes filled with tears.

"Granger?" She would miss the way he said her name. "What's wrong?"

"This," her voice wobbled dangerously. "Us. I can't do it."

"You're making no sense-"

"No," she shook her head, pleaded and pined at him with her glassy eyes. "I am. Harry and Ron-"

Suddenly realisation filled his face. Draco stopped smirking. Looked angry. "Fuck. They know?"

"Not yet. Will. Will know."

He stepped slightly back, shook his head in disbelieving and broken sadness. Hopeless. "So this is you breaking up with me? Saying goodbye."

"No," this was stronger than the last 'no' she spoke to him. "No. It's a maybe. A see-you-later. A we'll-make-this-work. A promise." On the last comment, she reached inside the pocket of her robe and pulled out the little silver promise ring he'd given her.

"A maybe," he repeated. His face was dispassionate now. Lost of any emotion. "Hermione-"

She turned around from walking away. He was numb.

"I promise we'll find a way."

She nodded, and walked away.

But they never did.