GETTING EVEN - CHAPTER III - ALICE' RANTINGS

============================================ 

GETTING EVEN 

by: reader27® 

============================================

4. CHAPTER III - ALICE' RANTINGS

ALICE'S POV 

"No! Ed is my maid of honor! This talk is over." I shout back at Hunter standing up from the couch. We've been arguing for a month now about this matter, about Ed being the best man or the maid of honor of the wedding which will happen a month from now. We still can't settle about all this. "Whatever you decide for your wedding, I'm completely on it." That's what Ed always said when it comes down to this. I know it would be the very first wedding having a guy to be the maid of honor. I'm not insane neither I'm not acting because of my pregnancy. I just want my best friend to be by my side on that day. He knows everything about all this stuff. He knows the very first time I came to like his cousin. After all, Hunter is the reason why I became friends with Ed. During our freshman year at Anderson High, I suddenly fell for Hunter's move while he was playing football though I know his aura emits of being a jerk. That time, I didn't still know Ed. One afternoon when I was walking home, I saw Hunter protecting Ed from a group of bullies in the park. He's truly a nice guy after all, that's what I thought as I admire him from far watching as he beat the crap out of all those kids. The next day that is when I approached Ed at the school the very first time. I still clearly remember how our friendship started.

FLASHBACK

It was raining hard outside, all the classes just ended. Students rushed trough he rain with their umbrella and some just ran not minding if they got soaked by the heavy pouring rain.

As I was opening my umbrella, I saw a figure of a boy by the foot of one of the pillars of the school's main building alone and watching the rain as it pour down. As I took a closer look I soon recognized that it was the boy on my English class, the one Hunter protected from the bullies at the park. He's small compare to all other guys same age as his, that's mainly the reason why he got picked on. I walked to his side and sit there with him.

Unnoticed, I sigh and took the opportunity to strike a conversation.

"Do you mind if I share my umbrella with you?"

The boy looked up and said, "Are you talking to me?"

Smiling I replied, "Yeah. As I see you don't have any umbrella with you and if you'd have you might be gone home by now."

"Why?" The boy asked, he's face searching.

"What 'why?''

"Why are you talking to me? I don't know you. And besides it's the first time you ever talked to me."

"I just sense that you're a good guy. And that you need someone to talk to, I mean a friend. I'm not saying that you don't have any. Look, what I just want to say is that I want to be friends with you."

"Why do you want to be friends with me?" Why so many questions? If I won't be careful might as well say that I wanted to be his friend to get close to Hunter. But I guess that would be rude.

"Is there a need for a reason to get friends with someone?"

The boy keeps silent. I averted my gaze to the rain. It surely will last for hours.

"I guess you're right, there isn't a need for a reason to get friends with anyone." The boy muttered on my side.

"Are you saying anything?"

"Huh?... What I'm saying is that, if you wanted to be friends with me. I don't mind. And about the umbrella, I also don't mind sharing it with you but my cousin will pick me up."

"Oh? Is that so. But I'm glad. Really, that you accepted me as your friend. Alice Reid is the name." I happily extended my right hand to him.

"I'm Edmund Mowen but call me just Ed." He then reached for my hand and shook it. Wait. There, Mowen, Edmund Mowen. Hunter Mowen. Is he Hunter's brother? I never heard he had one. Maybe, Hunter protected him.

"Why are you in shock?" Ed asked.

"Nothing. You say your family name is Mowen, right?" Ed nodded. "Is Hunter, the one in the football team, your brother?" I asked nervously but Ed just laugh at me. But why? "Why are you laughing?"

"Nothing. Did Hunter and I resemble anything similar?"

I think. Come to think of it, they have a little in common, just the grey eyes and the hair. But still, that didn't answer my question.

"A little. Just the eyes and hair aside from that. I guess nothing."

"Well, it's because we're cousins."

"So that's why he's protecting you." Oh God! I let it slipped away.

"Well he's not really willingly protecting me, it's because my uncle and auntie who are his parents told him to or else his allowance will be in trouble and my mom told him to look after me. But wait. Why do you know about that?"

Crap. He noticed. Well I might as well tell him the truth.

I leaned closer to him and whispered nervously, "It's because I got a liking to your cousin." Ed looked at me confused and shocked. I looked down feeling a hot sensation creeping on my cheeks.

"Why? What makes you like him?"

"Come on. He's hot."

"Here at school, maybe. But he's the same as those bullies, a total jerk at the house, laughing his ass off as he makes a fool out of me."

"Well, my feelings won't change. I still like him even though you're saying that he's a jerk. But I kind of sense that thing from him. I mean him being a jerk."

We stared at each other, and we both begin laughing hysterically.

"I guess, having you as my friend is a better idea." Ed said in between his laugh.

"I thought so too."

END OF FLASHBACK

"Come on Alice. You're being unreasonable here. Ed, no matter what is still a guy, and he'll be my best man on the wedding day." Hunter pulled me back on my reverie as he said those things firmly.

"Then fine! If that's what you want then find a bride for your wedding day!"

"What? Are you serious? Are you gonna cancel our wedding?"

Suddenly the door slams open revealing Ed, a look of displeased on his face and Van following him. Hunter and I turned our gaze to now open door, Ed and Van still standing there looking at us.

"Why are you two being so loud? You two are acting just like little kids. I can hear your voices from outside. Are you two still arguing about that matter? And what was that about cancelling of wedding that I heard just now?" Ed looked at us furious. Oh no, he's mad. "If you two are going to cancel your wedding, how am I going to be both your best man and maid of honor?"

"What?" Hunter and I said in unison.

"Well, it's all Van's idea. He suggested that if you two are still fighting about what I will be on your wedding day, why not I just play both roles to be the best man and the maid of honor on the wedding day just for you two to stop." Ed explained.

"What do you think? My thinking is great right?" Van butted in smiling.

"That's fine with me." I said calmly looking at Hunter.

"I guess so. That's better than having the wedding be cancelled." Hunter said finally.

"Now that all was settled, you two make up." Ed commanded. Hunter and I looked at each other, and then he walked up to me hugging me as he reached me and saying our sorry for each other. Not long then we're sharing a heated kiss. I guess a kiss after a fight was really something.

"I did say make up. But I didn't say to make out. We're still here you know. Anyway we only came here to tell you that. We're leaving now and just continue what you are doing." Ed remarked. We ignored it, after a minute all I heard was the sound of a door closing.

*******