⚘thirty two⚘

I stand with Penelope. It would seem her new wardrobe can only do so much. She is once again standing on the side. I have yet to see if the lessons Colin has given her have paid off.

Aunt Featherington walks towards Mr. Dankworth and Mr. Finch.

"Mr. Dankworth, Mr. Finch. Where are your ladies?" Aunt Featherington questions.

"I have lost mine somewhere in this splendid celestial display," Mr. Dankworth tells her.

"I sent mine to look for pastries," Mr. Finch states.

"Your wife is a pastry, Mr. Finch," Aunt Featherington tells him. "Perhaps if you savored her as much as you do food, she would be with child by now."

"I think of Prudence as a bonbon," Mr. Dankworth offers. "Delicate and, oh, so agreeable."

"Mr. Dankworth, you are so... pretty," Aunt Featherington tells him. "Oh. I shall find them for you."

Mr. Finch turns towards Pen. "Has anyone told you that your mother is rather terrifying?"

"That is an understatement," I state.

I smile as Benedict walks towards me. He holds out his hand.

"Dance with me."

"Of course," I tell him.

Benedict and I take to the dance floor.

"I do so love to dance with you," I confess.

Benedict laughs. "That is why I ask. Seeing you happy makes my evening all the better."

"I can think of other ways to make your night better," I offer.

"Is it too early to leave?" Benedict questions.

"Yes," I tell him. "You shall just have to be patient."

As Benedict and step from the dancefloor I spot Mr. and Mrs. Mondrich arriving.

"Mr. and Mrs. Mondrich," Benedict greets. "Welcome to the ton."

"I've been up against men in the ring who could have killed me, and yet I somehow find myself more nervous about tonight's program of dancing and socializing," Mr. Mondrich confesses.

"Well, at least you have your arms," Mrs. Mondrich remarks. "I can barely move in this."

"Nonsense," I tell her. "You both look superb."

"And do not be intimidated," Benedict offers. "This can all be rather enjoyable if you do not resist."

I smile at Mrs. Mondrich. "I think we should find some ratafia."

Mrs. Mondrich smiles. "Of course."

I lead Mrs. Mondrich towards the refreshment table.

"I am quite selfishly pleased to hear that your son was left a title," I tell Mrs. Mondrich. "From what my husband has to me you and Mrs. Mondrich are among the few truly good people in the ton."

Mrs. Mondrich smiles slightly. "It is all a bit overwhelming."

"I am sure," I state. "I have grown up in this world and I have made my fair share of scandalous decisions. I cannot imagine having this life thrust upon me so suddenly."

"How are we expected to understand all these society rules when even someone born into this world cannot grasp them?" Mrs. Mondrich questions.

"Do you see those two?" I point to what may be the happiest couple in the room. "Lord and Lady De Leon. It is considered impolite to dance as often as they do with the same partner, but they cannot keep themselves off the floor." I point to a couple nearly in the cups. "And Lord and Lady Singer. The rule is you are not supposed to have more than one or two drinks at these events, and yet they are like that every time. Drunk as fiddlers. And happy. Do you know what both of these couples have in common? They are married, like yourself. All these rules are to keep the marriage mart churning. But once you have performed your function and... found your match, you are free."