Chapter 12

There was a knock on the kitchen door just as Maya and Bryson were finishing up with the rest of their homework, and we looked that way and stared at it with wide eyes.

"Who is knocking on the door?" Maya asked and cocked her head while she studied the door through narrowed eyes. "And why?"

"I don't know," Charlie replied and stood. He signalled for me to sit back down when I was about to stand with him, and I hesitated before I did what I was told to do. "Stay seated, and I will go check it out," he said.

Again, there was another knock on the kitchen door, and Charlie walked toward the door, looking more like a Guardsmen than the man that had been sitting at the table with us, watching me help the kids do their homework.

I stayed seated, but I couldn't help but become tense and worried about the older male who had seen more than I could ever imagine.

Charlie opened the door when the person was about to knock again, and the Guardsmen side of him disappeared as quickly as it came when he realized that it wasn't a threat. "Oh, hello," he said and offered the person a warm smile. "How are you?"

"Hi..." the person, Seraphina, said, and my heart skipped a beat while my niece looked at me with wide eyes. "I am sorry, am I at the right house? I am looking for Cass."

"You are at the right house," Charlie said with a quick nod before he cleared his throat and shifted on his feet. "However, why are you knocking in the back door and not the front door?"

"I just did? I don't know. I felt this pull that told me to come this way a- Never mind, I don't know. Who are you?"

"Charles," Charlie replied, " but I g-"

"Wait, I thought Charlie was your real name," Maya said, interrupting Charlie from saying another word. "Has it been Charles this whole time?"

Charlie bit back an annoyed sigh and leaned his head back, looking toward the sky. "Do not be like your mother, Maya Rose."

"And why not?" she asked and raised an eyebrow in question. There was a small smirk on her face while her eyes sparkled with mischief and amusement. "Did she call you "Uncle Charles" when she found out that your name was Charles?"

"Well, only you four call him "Uncle Charlie," Maya," I said before I shrugged and grimaced. "Or the twins will call him "Uncle Charlie" when they can actually talk."

"Wait, twins?" Seraphina asked from the door. She furrowed her brows and cocked her head while she looked at us. "What twins?"

"My twins," Cass said and walked into the kitchen with two babies in her arms followed by a grumpy looking Julian. "Charlie, let her in. I do not know why you are blocking her from coming inside. Also, Seraphina, meet Dominic and Donovan. They have been kidnapped and werd just returned to me." She rolled her eyes playfully with a small scowl on her face, even though an amused smile wanted to appear.

"They have not been kidnapped, Cassandra Marie," Charlie said and backed away from the door, gesturing for Seraphina to come into the room. "Your Uncle and Aunt wanted them to spend a few days with them so that they can "teach them the LeBlanc ways.""

"But they aren't LeBlancs," she said and walked toward the kitchen table with Seraphina just standing in the doorway looking at us with wide eyes. "And neither am I."

"But you have LeBlanc blood running through your veins," Charlie said, and Cass shrugged and grimaced. He walked over to where we kept the baby seats and grabbed two of them. "And they are considered LeBlancs."

My cousin rolled her eyes and scowled, pressing her lips into a thin line. She didn't say a word, earning a small smirk from Charlie while he set the chairs near the kitchen table.