Chicken Biryani (Indoors, My Touch)

Now, I want to make this bottom of the line clear that I am not a professional chef, nor am I an expert in international cooking, but, I believe that if you can find the right ingredients and with a few techniques, you can make your favorite dishes at home.

Chicken Biryani is a dish originally from Pakistan, but in India, they made their own version as this is a technique that I plan on using for when I'm cooking for my birthday.

In a video I watched, instead of using chicken, some villagers from India used GOAT or Mutton, stuffed the rice inside, and then steamed it in a giant pot, filled with water, over a fire.

I'm gonna try this technique and if you want some context on how they did it, here's the video...

...and if you wanna try it, go for it, but keep in mind that this is my take on the classic Chicken Biryani recipe as it will be indoors and not outdoors.

Also, the reason I'm doing it indoors is because while I have a smoker and a grill, I don't have the type of equipment that those guys had, so what I have in mind is quite similar in a way.

3 Whole Chickens

Red Kashmiri Chilies (rehydrated)

3 Knobs of Ginger

Garlic Cloves

3 Pieces of Turmeric Root

Basmati Rice (washed and soaked)

Green Chilies

Coriander Leaves (fresh)

Mint Leaves (fresh)

Three Cinnamon Sticks

A Dozen Cardomon Pods

8 Cloves

Kosher Salt

Red Onions (thinly sliced)

One Handful of Cumin Seeds

Butcher's Twine

Coconut Oil

Ghee

Cheese Cloth

Baking Sheet

Chicken Prep:

1. Remove the skin off the birds of chicken.
2. Rinse the chicken with water outsidebefore prepping.
3. Slit three cuts on the drumsticks to get even cooking.
4. In a blender, add the 5 dozen cloves of garlic and cubed up ginger pieces, add a bit of water, and blend it on high until it becomes a smooth paste.
5. In the same blender, add a generous amount of fresh red chilies with a bit of water, and blend it on high until it becomes a smooth paste.
6. Add kosher salt and course ground black pepper to taste.
7. Rub the marinade on the chickens.
8. Cut the chicken open from the back, and rub the chicken with the rest of the marinade.
9. Cover the chicken with a damp towel, set in a cool area, and let the birds marinate for four to six hours, or if you have time, do it overnight (mostly preferred).

Rice:

1. In a braiser, add coconut oil and ghee, mix well.
2. Add the spices, and mix well.
3. Add the sliced onions and mix well until softened.
4. Add ginger and garlic paste.
5. Add chili paste.
6. Add coriander and mint leaves, stir around.
7. Add water.
8. Add the basmati rice and stir around.
9. Let it boil until the rice is 80 percent done, (slightly having a bite to it).
10. Once the braiser is boiled to 80% done, take the braiser off the heat.

Preparing To Cook The Chicken:

1. Open the cavity to put the rice inside of each chicken.
2. Once the rice is all inside the chicken, sew the chickens up with butcher's twine.
3. On a baking sheet, add cheesecloth.
4. Add 3 1/2 cups of water in a foil pan (there are two).
5. Put the birds inside a 250 degree oven.
6. Let the meat cook until the chickens reach 165°F and the rice is cooked.
7. Take the baking sheet out of the oven and let it rest for 15 to 20 minutes.
8. After 15 to 20 minutes, cut the twine off the chicken and serve.

Buon appetito, bitch!