Chapter 21

The day of the Veteran's Art contest had arrived. It was quite the event at the museum, as dozens of people came with their families and friends. There was all sorts of art, from paintings to drawings to pottery to painted vases. Some of the competition was fierce, and some big names, including Bill Buck and his agent, showed up. Lincoln's family showed up with his girlfriend, Stella, his best friend Clyde, and his other friends from school, Zach, Liam, and Rusty, along with their girlfriends. Many of the people attending were veterans from all branches of the US military – Army, Marines, Navy, and Air Force. There were both active duty people and ones who served in previous wars, including Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan, and the Gulf War.

The contest was simple. Everyone had a table where their art was displayed, and both the people and the judges would walk around and gaze at everyone's art. The judges would look carefully at each art piece and write down their score and any additional notes.

Ms. DiMartino was so proud of Lincoln's art that she went the extra mile to ensure it would not be damaged on the way to the art contest. She found the perfect frame for it. Once it arrived, everyone was in awe of its magnificence. Rita and Lincoln's sisters had not seen Lincoln's latest artwork, but they were just as amazed as everyone else when they did. Their jaws were hanging down, and their eyes were wide open in awe.

"Lincoln . . . you drew this?" Lori questioned.

"Yes, I did. I wanted it to be a surprise. So, that's why I didn't show you guys," Lincoln answered.

"It's literally incredible!"

"Lincoln, your art skills continue to grow and amaze us," Rita complimented.

"Yeah, you're like one of those really great artists – the highly skilled ones. What was the name of the artist who created the artwork for those 1000-piece puzzles that Dad always had? He was an excellent painter, and he painted mostly scenery and nice houses, but he also made some really nice Disney paintings before he died. Tom something," Leni asked while trying to remember.

"Thomas Kinkade?" Lincoln guessed.

"Yeah! That's it. Lincoln, you're like him but with colored pencils," Leni smiled.

"Ah, Thomas Kinkade, what an artist. Man, he had talent and skill."

Luan placed her hand on her brother's shoulder. "I think he would be impressed if he saw this," she said.

"Yeah, little bro. I mean, look at this! This is amazing!" Luna added excitedly.

"Indeed. The colors of this drawing flow flawlessly, and it's actually quite fascinating that you drew each soldier accurately to match the time era they were in with said war and conflict. It's easy to see that you did your research. Good job, Lincoln," Lisa praised while adjusting her glasses.

Then a familiar voice spoke from behind them, "I agree. Your art is amazing beyond words."

Everyone turned to see an older man with snow-white hair, just like Lincoln, with a grey mustache. If he were twenty or so years younger, you'd swear he was Lincoln's real father, but he's actually Lincoln's grandfather on his mother's side, Pop-Pop – he was wearing his Vietnam veteran hat. Beside him was a woman younger than him with brown hair and a beauty mole – Albert's girlfriend, Myrtle, aka Gran-Gran.

"Pop-Pop! Gran-Gran!" Lincoln called excitedly.

"Come here, cutie!" Myrtle smiled joyfully