15. The First Date

As Saturday arrived and his meeting with Olivia approached, Ibrahim prepared thoroughly. He showered and shaved. He knew first impressions were important and wanted a clean, well-groomed appearance.

Since it was nearing the end of September, the weather was cooler, so he wore a dark green wool sweater, with a simple light gray shirt underneath. He put on a well-fitted pair of dark gray chino pants. For shoes, he wore dark blue leather moccasins.

He carefully combed his hair and used a bit of hair product to keep it styled and groomed all day long. Finally, he sprayed on a ton of cologne, creating a veritable cloud of fragrance in his dorm room. In Egypt and much of the Middle East, it's common for men to wear significant amounts of perfume, as fragrances are an important part of their daily life and social interactions. It was at this moment that Roy entered the room, nearly passing out from the strong scent.

"Hey, if you don't like Olivia, why did you doll yourself up like this? And why did you bathe in cologne?" Roy asked as he fanned the air with his hand and went to open the window to let out the cologne smell.

"I just want to make a good impression," Ibrahim responded. "It's better to be too fragrant than not at all, right?"

"You look good, just don't get too close to her or the poor girl will suffocate."

"You know, back home this is customary. We like our scent to be noticed, because it says a lot about a person's character and style."

"Quite an odd custom. Hopefully Olivia doesn't pass out before she gets to see what a good guy you really are."

Ibrahim left the room smiling, ready to hopefully have a pleasant and memorable afternoon with Olivia.

When he arrived at the cafe, Olivia was not there yet. He sat down at a table and waited for her. However, even after 10 minutes, she still had not arrived. Although Egyptians are not known for their punctuality, Ibrahim was different from his countrymen in this regard, as he did not tolerate tardiness very well. Back home in Egypt, it sometimes frustrated him, especially for important matters, yet he had to learn to adapt and be patient while maintaining his own standards and efficiency. In terms of time management, he appreciated the Canadian and British approach more.

Suddenly, the cafe door opened and a familiar redhead girl entered. Ibrahim's eyes were immediately drawn to her. Olivia's red hair cascaded over her shoulders in glistening waves, appearing even more vibrant in the beautiful autumn sunlight than usual. She wore a stylish, knee-length, lightweight autumn dress with a pale cream base color and delicate dark green and mustard yellow patterns. Her face had a light, natural makeup that accentuated her green eyes, and a discreet, velvety red lipstick added a touch of emphasis to her lips. With her dress, she wore a pair of brown, high-heeled ankle boots that perfectly complemented her outfit, as well as a medium-sized brown leather handbag that was both practical and stylish. Her accessories included a simple silver necklace and a few hoop earrings.

As Olivia approached the table, Ibrahim stood up to greet her politely. He pulled out her chair for her, then helped push it in after she sat down.

"Hi Olivia! Glad you could make it," Ibrahim said with a smile as he took his own seat again.

"Hi! Sorry I'm a little late."

"No problem, back home people are even later than this."

The waiter approached them with the menu, and they placed their orders. Ibrahim ordered an Arabic coffee, while Olivia got a latte.

"How was your week?" Ibrahim asked, trying to start the conversation.

"Quite busy, but good. I did a lot of work for my studies and prepared for a few lectures," Olivia responded, feeling a bit relieved that she had finally come. "And you? How have your days been going?"