Eye Spy | 1

"Should we all go together?"

"I dunno.... This place could be real big."

"...Whatever gets us out of here faster."

I don't really want to split up, but I guess it makes sense.... "We could go in groups of two," I suggest. "We've only got one flashlight and those matches, so maybe Seven can go whichever way is darker, and Akis can go wherever it's lighter; unless if there's coal there, in case you might start a fire on accident."

Seven nods. "That sounds good."

"Fine," Akis shrugs.

"Who's gonna go with who?" Tria asks, glancing at the Nomes with a frown. They're still tossing coal into the furnace, even though nothing's been happening. I guess they don't know that they can take a break. I bet Tria's frustrated that they look like they're working so hard, but I don't think they're gonna stop. Last time she tried to pick up a Nome, it kicked and squirmed until she let go, and then went right back to work. Maybe they know something we don't. They've probably been here for longer than us. I wonder how long...? And how did they get here? Nomes don't seem like they belong somewhere with so much darkness and monsters....

Oh wait, was Tria talking to me?

Akis speaks before I can ask Tria to repeat what she was saying. Sighing, he nods at her. "I guess I'll go with you, because you're the only one here who doesn't drive me insane." Right, I remember now.

Seven bites his lip like he's trying not to laugh at Akis. "Okay, that works!"

"Yeah, that sounds good," I agree, looking around. There's two ways to go - a door way over on the other side of the room that looks dark inside, and some ladders leading to platforms higher up. There's probably a few doors that way. "I can't tell which way is darker or has more coal, though."

"I'll be right back," Seven says, running off to the doorway "There's a lot of coal, and it's dark this way," he calls, "so Mono and I should take this way, and I guess you two should go up that ladder? Unless if there's stuff that'll catch on fire, I mean."

Tria smiles. "Alrighty!" She starts walking, glancing at Akis. "You comin'?"

Part of me wants to run after the two of them so I can protect them. I haven't forgotten about my powers. I think I could use them if I had to. At first, they were just to protect Six, but now there's other kids, too. "Stay safe!" I shout - that's all I can do for now.

"We will, thanks! You too!" Tria calls back.

I watch as they walk away, wanting to insist we stick together so we can all stay safe. I could keep them safe, but only if we're all together - I know I could.

"Hey, Mono?"

"Sorry!" I apologize, running to where Seven's waiting for me. "I got lost in thought."

"Oh, you don't need to apologize!" He clicks on the flashlight. "Okay, let's go!"

We start off. I can't stop looking behind me, just in case Tria and Akis might...I don't know, be there? This is silly. They're probably fine. ...But probably isn't good enough. I wish we hadn't split up.

"Why do you keep looking back? You know they're gonna be fine, right?" Seven's stopped walking; looking at me with an expression that's half-confused and half-curious.

"Um...I guess?" I sigh, trying to resist the urge to glance behind me again. "I don't know.... I'm just worried about them. I know they'll probably be fine, but I kinda wish we were all together because I feel like we're safer that way. I should be there to keep everyone safe. More bad stuff could happen when we're apart, right? Like what if the Janitor catches us one by one? And what if-"