Glitching | 1

"Please," I whisper. "Please, Six."

Her arm shakes. Is she getting tired? Don't let go, I silently beg her. Don't let go!

What is she waiting for? She's never done this before. Does that mean she's really going to do it? Let go and leave me to fall and die here?

Stop thinking that, Mono! She's Six. She would never drop me!

But...it's all my fault. I wasn't fast enough to save her from the Bullies at the school. I didn't save her from the Thin Man the first time. I almost rescued her the second time, but I was too slow and too scared and I ran away.

And now I've destroyed her music box.

She should be mad at me.

The more I think about it, the more I'm sure that she really will let go. I've seen her do...things before, like when she killed that Bully at the school. When we trapped the Doctor in the furnace, and flipped the switch, she sat down and warmed her hands. She's kicked the bodies of Viewers before, too.

She looks down at me. There are tears in her eyes. Is this a goodbye?

It can't be goodbye. It can't! We've been through so much to find each other! Memories of us fly through my mind. Me finding Six in the cabin. Us exploring the wilderness. Sailing across the water. Playing outside the school. Rescuing her from the Bullies. Escaping the Teacher. Finding the flashlight. Trapping the Doctor. Running from the collapsing building.

The Thin Man taking her.

And then...just me. Trying to get Six back. Going through all the TVs. Defeating the Thin Man.

...Destroying Six's music box.

My hand starts to slide out of hers. I close my eyes, waiting for her to let go. If I'm going to fall, I don't want to see it. I don't want to see her. I'd rather be blind than watch her betray me.

The seconds feel like days as they drag on. I'm slipping.... I'm going to-

Her other hand grabs mine.

My eyes fly open. What? She's going to pull me up! She won't let go of me!

Carefully, Six helps me climb onto the ledge. I'm shaking too hard to stand. I can't do anything but fall to the ground and whisper, "Thank you."

Six nods once. She stays where she is; staring down into the darkness where she almost dropped me.

How close did she come to letting go? What changed her mind?

The ground shakes again. The bridge isn't stable anymore. I leap to my feet, unsteadily, and offer a hand to Six. "We need to go," I say.

She hesitates, then lets me help her up. As soon as she's standing, she lets go of my hand. So she's still angry.... But she saved me. I can make it up to her. We'll find somewhere safe, and stay there; somewhere that nothing and no one can hurt us or scare us ever again.

Six faces the glowing screen. She slowly steps through it. I follow her, holding my breath. I think of all the times I've traveled through the TVs before. It always makes my stomach feel sick. This time is the same, except that I can tell Six is there too. I can't see her or anything; I can just tell that we're together. Like we're flying together...that's really cool to think about! Flying would be so much fun! If we could fly away from everything...we'd be safe. Maybe the TVs are like flying, and they'll get us away from all the bad things. If we could make it outside the city, I bet we can find somewhere safe.