3: Pig Farm

Kong Yan lingered in her room for a while, estimating that the dishes were almost washed. She grabbed a basin and headed to the kitchen, returning with hot water.

Not finding Song Qingfeng back yet, she swiftly washed up and wiped herself down.

The more she wiped, the sadder she felt. She used to bathe daily, but here, she could only manage it once every half a month. Especially when she first arrived, it was a real struggle. In summer, the river water dried up, and it was quite a trek from the educated youth spot.

Moreover, the male educated youths had more demanding tasks than they did, making it difficult to fetch water daily. They'd fetch some in the morning for laundry and ration it for washing in the evening, resulting in a lingering odor.

She couldn't fathom how she ended up in such a hardship, traveling back in time to a place where she couldn't even buy underwear. The clothes she wore were self-made, crafted from muslin she purchased upon arrival.

But the real ordeal began when her aunt arrived!

As footsteps approached outside, Kong Yan quickly filled a footbath and sat on a stool to soak her feet. Song Qingfeng entered.

Then, he retrieved his basin and left without so much as a glance her way.

Kong Yan pursed her lips, not taking it to heart. Instead, she worried about the laundry that awaited her. Who would wash it?

Though bathing in winter in the north was infrequent, they still managed half a bucket for washing. She was somewhat anxious!

When Song Qingfeng returned with hot water, he washed his face and proceeded to soak his feet, seating himself far from her.

Kong Yan couldn't help but roll her eyes, dried her feet, poured some water, and climbed directly into bed.

In rural areas, people retired to bed early after dinner and washing up, with no entertainment to speak of. In just three months, she had rid herself of the habit of staying up late.

The room grew dark as the kerosene lamp was extinguished.

The moonlight cast through the window, offering a faint glimpse of the room.

As footsteps approached, Kong Yan swiftly and skillfully turned over.

Song Qingfeng, upon seeing her mostly wrapped in the quilt, pursed his lips, then turned over and faced away from her. The quilt was tugged.

After a moment, Kong Yan felt a chill on her back and turned around to find a gaping hole in the middle.

No wonder it's so cold!

Staring speechlessly at the man's back, she wondered why he usually lay flat. Why was he angry again?

Just as she contemplated how to mend the situation, Song Qingfeng suddenly turned around, casting her an ominous glare.