2: Song Qingfeng

After Kong Yan returned, she diligently dried her clothes before hurrying to her room to retrieve the clam oil that Song's mother had gifted her upon her marriage. With meticulous care, she wiped her hands clean and then placed them atop the kang to let them dry. 

Despite not being highlighted much in the original text, Kong Yan's own family circumstances were actually quite decent, a detail she recalled upon arriving here.

Kong Yan's parents are both old workers and are well paid. Among her siblings, she has two elder brothers employed at the factory and a younger brother who is still studying. Because she is the only girl in the family and good-looking. She is very beautiful, so she has been held in the palm of her hand since she was a child.

After finishing high school, the person she was secretly seeing betrayed her for the deputy factory director's daughter, leaving her heartbroken. Despite trying various jobs, she remained unsatisfied. Encouraged by her second sister-in-law, she ventured to the countryside to work in a queue.

Upon returning home, she brought a lot of money and notes. Unfortunately, life was too hard for her, and she wasn't one to save. She spent freely on necessities. When it was time for college, she ran out of money. She asked her father for it, so it took less than a month to make it.

When they got married, everything was paid for by the Song family.

Kong Yan also wrote a letter to the Kong family, though she worries it may not have reached them yet.

She decides to wait until her hands warm up before tackling the household chores.

She is not a diligent person, but who told her to be under the roof now!

Continuing in this vein would surely bring tears to her eyes!

There was nothing at home to tell the time, Kong Yan relied on her intuition. Sensing that it was nearing lunchtime, she headed to the kitchen to start preparing the meal.

Just as the vegetables began to steam in the pot, Mother Song and Sister-in-law Song returned home.

"Is the meal ready?" Song Ma asked in a loud voice as soon as she entered the yard.

Kong Yan quickly replied to her, "Almost, almost."

Sister-in-law Song walked in, took out two slender sweet potatoes from her pocket and handed them to Kong Yan, smiling: "Help me put them on the fire to roast, the two children are greedy."

Kong Yan glanced at it and nodded, "Okay." She took them, her mouth already watering. She remembered buying these treats at the school gate; they were irresistibly sweet and delicious.

Sister Song scooped up hot water to wash her face and hands.

Chatting with her, she said: "I heard someone say this morning that the few educated youths who came with you seemed to be quarreling again. I don't know if it's true?"

Kong Yan couldn't help but grimace. She knew without a doubt it was Ye Yun causing trouble once more. That troublemaker had a habit of pilfering food, rifling through her belongings, and gossiping behind her back.

"We educated youths are not from the same place. It is natural for us to have friction when we get along. Besides, there are good people and bad people everywhere."

Sister-in-law Song nodded, "That's the truth."

"By the way, you..."

Mother Song was suddenly outside. She shouted, "Fourth daughter-in-law, hurry up and start dinner, everyone is back!"

"Coming!" Kong Yan responded promptly, jumping up and rushing to the stove to check on the pot. Then, she turned to Sister-in-law Song. "Sister-in-law, what do you want to say?"