𝟐𝟖

ELSIE

I stared at the letter on the table.

It has been two days since I met Cedric and today I received the letter. It had only my name on it. I could recognise Aiden's handwriting still.

It was always messy and we always made fun of it. Ian was in his room, napping because he was tired from school while Fenix was at work today.

He left early and said that he was going to he here for lunch but he was still not home. Maybe something came up.

He did text me saying that he might be late for an hour. It's what I loved most about him. He made sure to always communicate and not leave me to wonder there he is or is he safe.

After he got shot, he knew how worried I would get if he didn't text me back.

I let out a sigh and extended my hand to pick up the letter. It was evident that it was old and the edges were wrinkled.

I'm glad Cedric was kind enough to keep it for this long.

With a heavy heart, I began to open it. My hands shook as I took out the paper from inside. I bit my lip and unfolded it.

I started to read.

My dear Elsie,

While you are reading this, I'm probably long gone. And I'm sure you are as beautiful as ever, grown into a wise and smart woman. I hope you are happy and safe.

For the past few years I have been doing everything in my power to take care for you and Sally. You are my everything. My soul and my heart.

When mom and dad first brought you home from the hospital, I knew that I was going to do whatever it takes to keep you and Sally safe and protected. I couldn't have asked for better younger sisters than you two. Now that I'm no longer with you, please be the person who's going to look after Sally.

She needs you the most now.

You might have a boyfriend or you might be married with children. It doesn't matter as long as you are happy. When you receive this letter you will also receive the contact and information for the safe in Beamond's bank. There is money for you and Sally. It's all I have saved for you two.

I won't be able to have a family on my own to spend it on but I hope you do. You two deserve it more than anyone in this world.

I love you Elsie never forget that.

You'll always be in my heart even after I'm gone.

With love, your big brother Aiden

There were informations attached at the end of the letter.

Tears blurred my eyes as I finished reading. I placed the paper back on the table and closed my eyes for a second.

Even when he was in the hospital and fighting for his life, he thought of us. That's how Aiden always was. Putting other people in front of himself.

I bit my lip and my shoulders slumped.

"Eli?" Ian's voice reached my ears and I quickly wiped my face. He was sleepily walking towards me, rubbing his eyes with the back of his hands.

"Hey, baby. You awake?" I stood up from the sofa and crouched down.

"Yes." He didn't stop walking but rather crushed his body to mine and circled his tiny arms around my neck.

I ran my palms over his back and hugged him back.

"Eli why are you crying? Did someone upset you?" He asked when he pulled away and saw my face. I was probably still red around my eyes.

He lifted his small hands and ran his fingers over my cheeks, wiping the rest of the tears. He was too precious for his own good.

I don't know what I would have been doing if Ian was not in my life.

"No, no Ian. I'm fine. Just... your uncle left something for me and I got little sad."

"Oh..." I have talked about Aiden in front of Ian a lot. I have told him stories about our childhood with my brother and Sally, he has seen pictures of him as well.

He knew that his uncle was not with us anymore.

"But I'm fine now." He nodded and jumped into my embrace again.

I tightened my arms around him and kissed his temple. I didn't like him seeing me upset. Whenever I was feeling down, I made sure to cry somewhere where he was not able to see.

I didn't want him getting sad because of me.

I heard the front door close. It must be Fenix.

The footsteps got closer and indeed Fenix stepped into the living room. His hair was slightly messy and he was only in his white shirt, his suit jacket was off.

I smiled at him and got up, Ian turned around to see who it is as well.

"Dad, Eli is sad." He said to Fenix and I shook my head with a grin.

"Why is my wife sad?" Fenix's eyebrows furrowed upwards and he stared to make his way towards us. When his eyes went to the table, his gaze softened.

"You received it?" He asked gently.

"Yeah." His lips landed on my forehead for a kiss and stayed there for couple of seconds. I let out a breath and pressed myself to him.

I missed him so much.

Ian hugged our legs and I tangled my fingers through his hair. I loved both of them so much. My heart was about to burst from so much love.

🤍🤍