Ch. 54

***JACOB POV***

"What were you saying to River?!" I asked as soon as I'd found a quiet enough place to question Morgan.

"This is the part where you're supposed to congratulate me on getting married,"

I let out a frustrated sigh. "Of course. Morgan, you know I'm so happy for you. I- everything was stunning. You look amazing. Mom and Dad keep crying. This is the best,"

"But... You want to grill me because I said like two words to River?"

Morgan knew I liked River. Morgan always knows what's going on in my head, sometimes before I even know. Why would she say anything about it though.

"I think Aaron's been drinking cuz he 100% brought it up. I swear I've never said anything to him. We don't really sit around and talk about you, no offense. He probs just saw the way you guys are around each other. It's cute Jake! I ship you two!"

"You do?"

"Yep! I think you two would be cute together. But obvi keep in mind that if you break her heart you'll have to answer to Trent and I, cuz River's my sister too now,"

I couldn't help but open up to Morgan. If I didn't tell her, she'd probably just figure it out by giving me one of her Morgan looks one day.

"We kissed!"

"What?!!! When?!"

"Today! Before the ceremony,"

"No way! So that's what Parisa meant when she said you were having a moment with River,"

"What? When did she say that?!"

Before Morgan could reply our Dad showed up out of nowhere. He swung his arm around me and leaned down to be closer to Morgan.

"I hope you're having the best night sweetheart. It really was a beautiful ceremony,"

"Thanks Dad!" Morgan replied, making my jaw drop in shock. Morgan just called our dad, "Dad,". She never called him that. She always called him by his first name, Joe, kind of like how River calls her parents by their first names. River... I should get back to River since I promised to make sure she could get around tonight.

"Wasn't it incredible Jacob?" Dad asked. Mother earth, he's totally been drinking. My dad's olive skin had a red flush now and he was... let's say lighter than normal.

"Yeah... Dad, good to see you're enjoying yourself," I joked.

"Listen, believe it or not, I am completely of age. Also I deserve a drink in light of the stress I've been under. Let me tell you something about having kids, when they're stressed, you're stressed,"

"You're so dramatic Joe. The wedding wasn't that stressful! Plus I feel like I made Daria and Jade do most of the planning with me,"

Dad seemed to catch his slip of the tongue as he locked eyes with me. He briefly tightened our side hug before disappearing into the reception.

"What was that about? Wait- he was talking about you?!" Morgan declared.

This is what I'm talking about with Morgan. It's like she'll hear the tiniest bit of something and then she knows something's up.

"What was that about? You have to tell me cuz it's my wedding day,"

"No. It's because it's your wedding day that I will not be telling you," I retorted, scooping Morgan back up to bring her to Trent. Of course when I approached the table I'd been sat at my eyes went straight to the human pedestal in the center of the table expecting to see River. My stomach sank when I didn't see her there.