LXXI - The Promises to Keep

Michael laid on his side next to Ravenna, coming down from his release. He had heard of how pleasurable intimacy was, but to experience it himself with the woman he loved so wholly - he couldn't find the words.

He brushed back his curls from his forehead, sweat slick across his face. "How do you feel, my sweet?"

Ravenna's chest heaved as she caught her breath, a peaceful smile on her lips. "I'm just a little sore, but I'm okay, I promise." She propped herself up on her elbows, her hair falling from her shoulders. "Was it... okay... for you?" Her gaze dropped to his bare hip.

Michael blinked in bewilderment, shocked that she was worried she wasn't enough. He reached over and tilted her chin up, making her look into his eyes. "Don't ever worry or think you're not enough. Being any kind of intimate with you, it's more than I could have ever hoped for. Every kiss is a gift, and what we just shared...I would live like that with you forever if I could."

Lust ripped through his body, demanding more; that he claim her again and again until they were both exhausted and drained. He clenched his fists through the sheets, refusing to allow the powers to control him, to ruin their moment. Turning his focus away from the Sins that attempted to corrupt his mind, he instead turned his attention back to Ravenna, still lying next to him in all her perfection. He trailed his fingers along her arm, flirting along her skin toward the dip in her waist.

As he skirted his hand along Ravenna's skin, he noticed the small amount of blood that stained her pale thigh, and dread took over him. –Did I hurt her? Why wouldn't she tell me she's hurt?– The color left his face, and he pressed his lips together.

"Ravenna, you– you're bleeding. What happened to you? Did I hurt you?"

"I'm okay. It was just my first time, and that can happen to women for their first time. It's not a big deal, and you didn't hurt me." She reached over and pressed her lips against his, a reassuring kiss sealing her words.

"I'll come right back," he promised, standing on uneasy feet. He stepped between the realms, finding his way to the bathing chambers. Their bath water was long cold, but he dipped a washcloth into the water anyway, and disappeared back into their shared bedchamber.

Ravenna had curled up on the bed in his absence, looking at ease as she wrapped herself up in the sheets. An air of serenity overcame Michael as he approached her; the woman he loved and sacrificed so much for, basking in the afterglow of their intimacy.

"Here, I brought this – let me help you." He moved the sheets away from Ravenna, gently cleaning the blood from her thighs, care evident in his work. "Are you sure this isn't because you're hurt?"

"It's really okay. Don't worry about me. Besides...didn't your..." Ravenna looked away and swallowed hard. "Other women...didn't they do the same?"

"Oh, my sweet," Michael sat down next to her, drawing her into his embrace. "There's never been any other women. The angels don't follow human rules of aging, remember? And in all my years, no angel or human has ever captured my interest until I found you."

"But you seemed so - experienced?"

Michael laughed awkwardly, not wanting to admit the truth. "Only because my Brothers had a long conversation with me about it. It was not the most comfortable day. Gabriel was trying to make sure I knew what I needed to know, but his wife was in the other room. I kept telling him it wasn't necessary, but he insisted. It didn't help that Zerachiel laughed the entire time, seeing how embarrassing it was for me. He didn't need to be there, but he told us he wouldn't miss the opportunity for anything."

"Do your other Brothers have wives?"

"Just Gabriel. We think Jeremiel has had his eyes on one of his maids, but he won't admit to anything. So soon, it will be just Gabriel and myself."

He leaned back, pulling Ravenna on top of him as his lips found hers.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Lucifer listened intently to Edward's explanation, the solution Orion had proposed to fix the problem with the demon blades. He set the sword he held back into its place on the wall, rather than throwing it across the weapons room.

"So he wants to create a new set of blades with the blood of the three angels? But the original smith that created them is long past his use now. Blacksmiths aren't very common, especially ones that come to our realm. How does Orion propose to solve that problem?" Lucifer tapped his fingertips together, trying to think of a solution.

"I'm not sure, sire." Edward slicked his hair back, pushing it into place. "One of the things we will need to do will be reminding the Seraphim of his duties here - he had promised you to be an ally and he has hardly been here at all. He will need training if he is going to fight with us. I'm sure you can use the Unleashing of his powers as leverage as needed."

"Of course. It'll be impossible to create the new blades without all three of us to give the blood for the metal's heart, on the off chance we're actually able to find a smith to do our work. But you are right, we are owed, and I do not forget my debts."

"Would you like me to summon the ally for you, sire?" Edward held his hands in front of him, waiting for his orders.

Lucifer thought for a moment, and decided against sending his right-hand demon. "No, I will have you join the others. I will go to Michael myself."

Edward nodded. "As you wish." He disappeared in his cloud of red smoke, off to the training grounds that he had heard Vincent and Adam would be taking William to that afternoon.

With the demon gone, Lucifer pulled the parchment he had already prepared from his pocket, looking at his elegantly coiled script along the paper.

You have promises to keep. We will see you tonight in my realm. -Lucifer

He stepped between the realms, entering Ravenna's parlor. He heard voices from another room, but that failed to interest him. He placed the parchment on the empty tabletop, and returned to his home realm, leaving the couple in peace for their afternoon.