XXIV- The Confidant

Ravenna slipped out the back door of the inn. She didn't want to be detected by any of the workers. Strolling down the Nerium pathway, Ravenna tried to look confident, as if wearing a too-large men's waistcoat was intentional and a fashion statement. Perhaps, if she looked like this was a purposeful look, nobody would question it.

The young woman entered the dress shop, a small bell tinkling as she opened the door. A woman, about forty years of age, emerged from the back of the store. She had black hair tied up in a bun and a stern face. Ravenna hoped the shopkeeper's personality was much warmer than her face might indicate.

"Yes, yes, good morning, what are we after?" The shopkeeper was precisely as serious as her face looked. This woman was very no-nonsense.

"Good morning, I am looking for a dress to replace this one. I'm a traveler, I left home in a hurry and didn't have time to pack a spare," Ravenna lied to the woman.

"You're in luck. I'm the best there is. I am Rosie, the finest seamstress in the country. Come here, dear, let's get you measured up for your dress." The seamstress, Rosie, pulled a measuring tape from around her neck and stepped toward Ravenna. "I'll just measure around your current... my dear, why are you wearing men's clothes over your dress?" Rosie had come close enough to Ravenna to see her attire closely and noticed the borrowed waistcoat she wore.

"Oh this old thing?" Ravenna waved her hand dismissively. "It's mine, I've had it forever."

Rosie huffed. "Child, do not come into my store and lie to me. I'm a seamstress. I know when clothes do not belong to a person. Come on, now, dear. Take off that silly garment that is clearly too large for you, let's get you measured properly for a dress."

Ravenna blushed and looked at her feet. She couldn't tell this stranger what had happened to her, and she definitely couldn't tell her about Michael. Ravenna began to stutter. "I...I...I c-can't..."

Rosie frowned. "My dear. My shop is safe. Here." The woman placed a sign on the door stating she was out of the shop temporarily and closed the curtains on the door. Rosie made her way back to Ravenna. "Now child, nobody will come in. Why don't you tell me why you're so hesitant to get measured, and why you're wearing men's clothes?"

Ravenna took a deep breath in a quiet, safe place with another woman. She altered her story slightly, leaving out that Michael was an angel. She told Rosie how she had been kidnapped from her home by a suitor, and he had tried to take advantage of her, cutting through the bodice of her dress and the sides of her undergarments. She said she was saved by a passing messenger, who gave her his waistcoat to allow her to cover herself.

Rosie sat and listened to Ravenna's story, not speaking a word as the younger woman recounted her misfortunes. Ravenna finished her story, and Rosie pressed her lips together. Her no-nonsense personality was replaced by mother-like concern.

"Child, I am very sorry these things have happened to you. Let me grab you a slip to change into, we can get you out of that dress and away from those memories. We can work on finding a dress that fits from there." Rosie stood and brushed her hand along Ravenna's hair. She disappeared into the back of her store and returned with a small slip, one she guessed would fit Ravenna.

Ravenna took the slip from Rosie and went to the changing stall to remove her torn garments. She was very grateful for Rosie's kindness, and telling someone about what had happened to her felt very relieving. Ravenna carefully removed Michael's waistcoat and folded it, placing it on the stool in the corner of the stall.

Rosie expertly measured Ravenna and wrote down the young woman's measurements on a small piece of parchment. Rosie looked at her writing, thought momentarily, and pulled several dresses from places around the shop. Ravenna looked at all three dresses and asked how much it would be for all of them. She had Peter Jones' coin pouch; after all, he had put her through, the least he could do in death would be to purchase her some new dresses. Ravenna also purchased some undergarments from Rosie and thanked her profusely for caring for her when she needed them most.

Ravenna changed out of her borrowed slip and back into her slashed dress. She buttoned Michael's waistcoat on top of her dress and returned to the counter where Rosie waited with her new clothes.

"My dear, you just bought some new dresses, why are you putting that old thing back on?" Rosie seemed intrigued by Ravenna's choice of attire.

"Oh, I wanted to go back to my room to bathe before putting on such lovely dresses, I would really hate to ruin them and all the effort you've put into them, Madam Rosie." Ravenna ran her fingers through her hair, which desperately needed attention. Rosie looked satisfied with her answer and stepped from behind the counter to embrace the younger woman.

"Just know that what you've been through, you are not alone," Rosie quietly confided as she hugged Ravenna. "It happens entirely too often, and unfortunately much more than one would think. Please take care of yourself, child."

Rosie held Ravenna at arm's length, giving her a sad, knowing look. Ravenna immediately understood the meaning behind Rosie's words. "Please take care of yourself too, Madam Rosie. It has been an absolute pleasure to know you. Thank you for everything you've done for me."

Ravenna gathered her dresses and left the store, feeling significantly more comfortable in her skin, knowing that someone else had heard her story and understood how she felt. Ravenna also felt saddened, knowing that Rosie had experienced the same misfortunes. Had someone come to rescue Rosie the way Michael had come to save her?

Ravenna entered through the back entrance of the inn and quietly made her way up the rear staircase to her room. She wondered if Michael had seen her signal or if the room was too far from the forest for him to be able to spot. She would pray for him if he didn't appear by sundown, and he said he would hear it.

Humming quietly to herself, Ravenna shuffled her purchases to one arm while she found her room key. She slid the key into the lock, turning it. Opening the door, she rearranged the dresses in her arms so the weight was more even. Ravenna looked up to see Michael standing outside the bath, wearing only a towel hung low on his hip bones.

Michael's face immediately turned red, and Ravenna turned, apologizing. "I'm so, so sorry, Michael!" She faced the wall, making sure the door was locked behind her. "I was not sure you would have... this is my fault!"

She heard Michael's deep, velvety voice from the other side of the room. "Please don't be sorry, it's okay. I'll dress. I'll tell you when I'm done, I would hate for you to be uncomfortable."

What a gentleman, Ravenna thought. She had left a note offering him the bath, and here she was, intruding on him. And he was taking her intrusion so well. Ravenna was very grateful that Michael was who he was.