Chapter Nine

"Agent! What do you mean you've found her?" Park said as he followed Nichols out of the lab with Amelia right on his tail.

"Melsom will provide the details for you," Nichols replied. He led them through the halls in the lower levels of the Pentagon. It was just as this when Park was first brought in, and he followed the familiar path until they reached the elevator that took them down into the war room where Melsom briefed him on his present imprisonment. The elevator descended and opened as Nichols ushered Park into the war room, but this time it was much different. The room was filled with military officers and other high ranking government officials, all conversing amongst themselves. The large monitors on the far wall of the room were active and displaying various satellite images, and Park realized they all appeared to be focused on one particular location.

"Nebraska?" Amelia said out loud, clearly thinking the same thing. "What's in Nebraska?"

"With any luck, our target." Melsom approached them as soon as they exited the elevator.

"What exactly is going on here?" Park asked. "Your agent said that you found Subject Nine?"

"We have a lead," Melsom answered. "The first we've had, but we need your confirmation, Doctor. Abrams!"

"Yes, sir." A Pentagon admin joined them, carrying a tablet which he handed over to Melsom.

"This came in just this morning," Melsom said. "Take a look, Doctor. Does this profile match your missing asset?"

Park took the tablet from Melsom, adjusting his glasses as he oriented the screen in front of him. He was looking at a government profile for a caucasian teenage girl. She looked to be about 16-years-old, with brilliant blue eyes and wavy, sandy hair. The second Park glanced at the photo of the girl, his eyes lit up with shock and disbelief. He had not even looked at the details of the profile before he exclaimed his confirmation.

"I'll be damned! It's her!"

He handed the tablet to Amelia, who took her time examining the profile. The name read, "Tucker, Anna R," and her residence was listed as Meadowvale, Nebraska.

"Are you absolutely certain, Doctor?" Melsom pressed him.

"I could never forget those eyes," Park assured him with a stern face. "It's definitely her. I would stake my life on it, but I have to ask, how did you find this?"

"NSA picked it up following an incident that was reported to the local police in Meadowvale," Abrams entered the conversation. "Apparently the girl in this profile broke the arm of another civilian minor."

Park narrowed his eyes at him. "She broke someone's arm," he repeated in condescension. "And that means what to me?"

Abrams was unfazed by his remark. "The police report states that she did it with her bare hands. Witnesses called it a display of inhuman strength."

Park's expression rolled back. The profile was all he needed to know for sure that the girl in the photo was indeed Andromeda, but if the police report was to be believed, then there was no question that they had found her.

"Fascinating," Park muttered, taking the tablet back from Amelia. "It seems she's taken on an entirely new identity since she disappeared from our facility."

"If I may ask," Amelia cut in, "how did the government not detect this sooner?"

"It's not their fault," Park said in a tone that was almost meant to mock Melsom. "With no information to go on, she could have remained hidden forever. We were just waiting for an incident like this to set off the alarm bells."