chapter nine.

CHAPTER NINE.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

The lack of sleep was wearing on Blythe, the nightmares having come back in full force. As she stood in the doorway of the hospital wing, she felt a presence appear behind her. Blythe turned her head slightly, seeing Severus's black cloak and feeling slightly at ease. She turned her attention back to wear Madame Pomfrey fussed over Ron Weasley, who had been brought to Blythe earlier that day with an infected dragon bite. Hermione had been the one to bring him to their professor, insisting he talk to Blythe and tell her exactly what happened. They had tried to lie their way out of the matter, but Blythe would not allow them to as she studied Ron's hand. When Blythe determined what it was, Ron and Hermione informed her of Norbert, Hagrid's newly hatched dragon.
Just the thing they needed in Hogwarts, surely.
Blythe had rushed the boy to Madame Pomfrey, and then located Minerva.

"Dumbledore has spoken with Hagrid," Severus informed her, his eyes trained on the whimpering Weasley. Blythe couldn't determine his emotion in the moment, and only hummed as she crossed her arms and leaned on the doorframe. She felt Severus watch her for a moment before she turned, her hand landing gently on his upper arm. His dark eyes followed her hand before returning to her.

"I will write to Charlie Weasley, the dragon can go to Romania," she told him, nodding her head confidently. She pulled her hand away, folding her arms over her chest and hiding her hands beneath her arms, "It can be done swiftly and quietly; ¦he knows proper dragon care."

"Then do it. Quickly," Severus agreed with her in a fast nod, his eyes flitting back to where Ron was in the hospital wing, "Minerva has written to the boy's parents."

"Molly will take this well," Blythe muttered sarcastically, to which Severus hummed, a small smirk playing at his thin lips, and widened his eyes, rocking back and forth slightly and watching Blythe turn back to see Ron had calmed down slightly from his bite. Her thoughts cleared, but only by a little, knowing that her student was no longer in distress from the infectious wound. Blythe turned back toward Severus, her back nearly against the doorframe, "Will Dumbledore handle the matter properly?"

"Dumbledore will handle this as he normal would," is all Severus could muster to say. It brought a frown to the brunette's face but she only nodded. Severus's dark eyes traveled down her saddened features before he sighed, "Come with me, we can prepare final exams and drink some tea."

She nodded slowly, and the pair walked away with one another. Severus's hands were pressed together in front of him as he walked, and Blythe had her arms crossed, one hand sitting so that it covered her mouth. She ran her thumb over her scar, feeling the slight indent on her lip as her eyes were trained on the ground, brows furrowed.

"Professor Crouch!" the call for her name had Blythe freezing in her tracks, and she turned and searched for the source. Quirrell. Her hands dropped to her sides as he gave his usual nervous smile, his hands rubbing together anxiously as he approached the two professors. Blythe noticed the way he looked at Severus, which caused her to look in his direction suspiciously. Before she could question the behavior, Quirrell's voice met their ears, "Is Mr. Weasley alright?"

"I'm certain you could ask Madame Pomfrey such a question, no?" Severus countered as Blythe opened her mouth to speak.

The brunette clamped her mouth closed, glaring at Severus through the corner of her eyes before she turned to Quirrell, seeing that he had fallen entirely silent as he looked between the two professors nervously. Blythe silent behavior and interrogating him at the start of the year had already made him anxious, but Severus carried his cool demeanor and unnerved Quirrell consistently, especially after Quirrell's return to Hogwarts. Blythe jerked her head sideways briefly, inhaling deeply to collect her thoughts before she turned her head to Quirrell and feigned a warm smile.