Chapter 25: Amazing Grace Find Me

. “Please” Esme whispered, lacking even the strength to lift her head to face her tormentors. “Please!” she begged again as fire rasped in her throat and in her belly.

She knew the baby needed food, she could feel the weak whispering movements deep inside her that let her know of her baby’s faltering condition.But she knew what the end result would be.

After they had gotten their fill of watching the proud wife of Dr. Carlisle Cullen beg at their feet for mercy and sustenance enough to sustain the baby they would provide it to her en grosse.

She was so mad with starvation that she fell upon whatever they threw her way with full abandon then, her belly not used to the large amounts of rich blood, she would vomit everything back up she had eaten.

As she bent once again over the sink, gasping to catch her breath – she heard Alec speak. “Jane how much more of this can her body tolerate before it kills the fetus, you know that’s the mainstay in our plan”.

“You’re panicking Alec, stop this weakness. It doesn’t befit a future ruler of the vampiric world. She should go into labour within the next two weeks, after that we can dispose of her and raise the child as the heir to the new pure line of Volturi – the blood heir.”

Hearing their conversation made Esme feel even more wretched and she shivered with a cold sweat as she tried to keep her hands from slipping off the sink because she knew her legs wouldn’t hold her.

“A child born of two vampires will be more powerful than any the immortal world has ever seen. The old Volturi doesn’t realize this. But once we emerge as the new leaders, and mortal this heir changes will be stronger as well” Jane replied her voice shaking with manic emotion. “Until then we wait and prepare for our new roles”.

She swept from the room and grimfaced her brother followed.

Carlisle hacked through more trees as he got closer to his target. He’d thrown away the cell phone a couple miles ago so that it couldn’t be picked up by any technology they were using to monitor the area.

Alice had called only a half hour ago, as well as telling him that she had given birth to two tiny girls and Rose to a baby boy she had also regained her visions and had seen a cement bomb shelter in the mountain border between France and Italy.

He could tell from her voice that she had seen more but she refused to tell him only saying to hurry.

Getting across the Italian border had proved more cumbersome than he had thought. The Volturi was the government in some places of the country so they had border privileges and had many of their numbers in different official ranks. That way they could send reports and track vampire migrations through the country. Of course that also meant that no vampire could leave or enter Italy without the Volturi knowing. He had had to face them first.

Flashback to three days prior:

He paused before nodding to the guards flanking the ornately carved wooden door that he knew led to the throne room their family had stood in just three years ago. It opened its gaping maw to allow him entrance to the safeguarded leaders of the Volturi.

“Carlisle, dearest friend – I was afraid we were going to have to come pay you a visit. Have you brought the infants?"

No Aro” he interrupted before his old mentor could continue “Tell me where Jane, Alec and the rest of the guard are” he said levelly.

The ancient one’s brow had furrowed “What do you know of their defection?”

“Only that they have taken Esme and mistreated her. Torturing her until she has come close to miscarrying our child” he tried to keep his voice calm and his thoughts rational but more than anything he wanted to shake the answers from them, to tear them limb from limb so that they would know one thousandth of the pain they had inflicted on Esme and his family.