Confrontation

I laid on my bed as thoughts of Ghost swirled through my mind.

This shouldn't be happening between us. We are both professional. He was my colleague. I never ever thought I would be having an affair with him. I knew i needed to face him because I needed to have a word with him.

This needs to be sorted out.

I was interrupted by a call from Laswell. I answered, her voice cutting through the silence of my room.

"Angela, come to my office," she instructed.

"Okay," I replied, hanging up the phone and making my way to her office.

Knocking on the door, I waited for her response before entering.

"Come in," she called out.

"Angela, did you complete your training today?" she inquired.

"Yes, I learned to handle a sniper. I hit the mark," I confirmed.

"Good to hear that," she acknowledged.

"Laswell, I don't think I want to work as a medic here," I confessed. "I want to go on missions, and honestly, I can't juggle between these two jobs at the same time. I think I'll only be working as a 2nd lieutenant from today."

"It's okay if you don't want to, but your experience can come in handy in risky situations," she reasoned.

Her words gave me pause, making me reconsider my decision. Maybe there was a way to balance both roles after all. But deep down, I knew where my true passion lay - out in the field, facing danger head-on.

"Sitting behind a desk, checking patients and prescribing medication - it's important work, but it lacks the excitement and challenge that comes with being out in the field." I proceeded.

"My Martial arts training and learning languages - they were all part of a bigger picture, a preparation for something greater. A life filled with purpose, where every skill and every experience serves a greater mission.

So yes, going on missions - that's where I belong. It's where I can truly make a difference, where I can put all my skills to the test and emerge stronger, braver, and more alive than ever before." I tried to explain.

"Hmm," she murmured in acknowledgment.

Laswell briefed me on the upcoming mission. The confirmation of Hassan's location sent a jolt of anticipation through me, knowing that the moment of action was drawing near.

"Before the mission, I'll need to retrieve my belongings from my apartment," I interjected, mindful of the logistics involved.

"Ghost will drive you there," Laswell replied matter-of-factly, causing a pang of discomfort to stir within me. I had been avoiding Ghost as much as possible, wary of the tumultuous emotions he stirred within me.

"But isn't he busy? Why not Soap?" I questioned, attempting to downplay my unease.

"He has his car here. He'll drive you to the city. You can take Soap with you too if you want," Laswell explained, her tone firm yet understanding. "I'll give you a day off to relax before you're sent on the mission."

After receiving instructions from Laswell, I made my way through the corridors of the base, each step bringing me closer to the inevitable encounter with Ghost. Despite my efforts to avoid him, fate seemed determined to thrust us together at every turn.

Following Laswell's directions, I located Ghost's office in the left corridor of the main lobby.

As I approached, the nameplate bearing his name, "Lieutenant Simon Riley," caught my eye, a stark reminder of the man who had unwittingly become both my adversary and my confidant.