chapter 8

"I don't understand." Afreen paces inside her prison cell in deep worry.

"What ?" Yaad asks with a smug expression.

"If Xingchen was ready to marry Zemin, then why did he choose you ?"

"That's because Xingchen played with his heart. He was angry and wanted to take revenge. It's pretty clear." .

Afreen frowns harder. "Zemin is different from Zixuan. Zemin doesn't work on emotions, Yaad. This can't be the only reason...."

"Then maybe, he hasn't changed at all. He still wants to destroy his brother. whatever, the good news is I am officially the first consort of the Southern Zi kingdom and that stupid Xingchen is a concubine." Yaad laughs out loud.

Afreen looks at her brother in disgust. Why did she end up with this fool by her side ? Even Jia-li was better than Yaad. 

Yaad stops laughing and looks at Afreen with a serious face "now, I need your help. I need to use Zemin's anger as my power. I need some ways to increase Zemin's hatred towards Xingchen."

Afreen still keeps on her disgust expression "If you really wanted to do that, you wouldn't be here on your mating night."

"I just came to give you the food news. I will be leaving soon and don't worry Zemin won't go to Xingchen's chamber and even if he goes Xingchen won't let him enter. I saw him leaving the altar before our vows."

Afreen shoots her eyes up "You said Xingchen doesn't like Zemin ? You said he was pretending?"

"Yes ! He doesn't."

"Then why did he leave the altar, you idiot ?" Afreen almost shouts.

"Because he became a concubine. It's humiliating.".

"If being the concubine was the reason, then he would have left way before..when Zemin refused to take  vows." Afreen paces again. "No no .. all my plans will fail, if Xingchen gets close to Zemin."

"Xingchen hates Zemin and after today I bet he wouldn't even see Zemin's face." Yaad confirms "They are like fire and oil. If they come close to each other ....

"The palace will burn and so will you and I." Afreen almost shouts. "Now, go and stop them from being together. Put on some tricks like Jia-li. Go !!!"

***

"Go away !" Xingchen shouts again, standing close to the door. He wouldn't be in the same room with Zemin.

Zemin ignores Xingchen's shout as usual and lies on the bed comfortably.  "Only you can play games, Xingchen and I can't ? Am I your toy ?"

"Leave !"

"You are concubine. This is our mating night. I have every right to be here and you can't defy me. Come here." Zemin pats the bedsheet beside him.

Xingchen looks away in disgust.

Zemin chuckles "Did you eat your vows, Xingchen ? Accepting me as your husband .. for better and worse ..to love and to be loved and what not ..!"

Xingchen looks back at Zemin "of course it's all funny for you. You don't know what love is .. nobody loves you.. how would you know the meaning of to love and to be loved ?"

Zemin rolls his eyes "yeah yeah .. you have so many people who loves you. So, What's the reason of marrying me ?"

"To stop you from scheming again." Xingchen spats. Right now, he wants to hurt Zemin so bad but he can't. So the only way to hurt Zemin is his words. "What did you think ? I had changed of mind ? I really wanted to marry you ?