Prologue (Meet the Bully)

I awoke to the sound of silence, and to the red glow of my alarm clock burned to the backs of my eyelids. It read 7:40. It took a moment for the numbers to register before I shot straight up in bed.

"Shit!" I exclaimed.

School started in ten minutes! I quickly swung my legs over the side of my bed, shivering as my feet made contact with the cold hardwood of my bedroom floor.

Flicking on my light, I stood and walked over to my dresser, grabbing some clothes and slipping them on.

Once I was sure I looked at least presentable I grabbed my bookbag and walked toward the front door, grabbing a granola bar along the way. As I walked along the sidewalk to the school, I kicked a rock, but soon lost it after a few steps.

The bell rang just as I was walking through the double doors of Wolverhampton High, as did the agonizing voice of my daily torturer.

"Hey Cara." I turned with a scowl to see Eve Mendell, a snotty brunette senior who'd started harping on me my first day in high school as a freshman.

Now I was a junior and she still chose to target me.

"What do you want, Eve." I practically growled. It was more of a statement than a question.

"Oh... nothing." she replied.

Her voice was practically dripping with venom.

"Just wanted to let you know you're late. Again. Wouldn't be a problem if you had a car." she finished, dangling the keys to her black camaro in my face before strutting away.

Glaring after her, I walked to my locker, opening it to throw in my bookbag and take out the books I needed for my first class. As soon as they were in my hands I all but sprinted down the hall, making it to Mrs. Burne's AP World History class only seconds before the second bell rang. The teacher gave me a look, but she said nothing.

I technically had made it to class on time, and I did considerably well in her class anyway. I plopped down in my seat next to my best friend, Laura.

"Hi Cara." she greeted me.

I gave her a little wave.

"Alright class, settle down." Mrs. Burne called out. "It's time for class to start."