Chapter 6

A single-story house on a ranch at the back of god's country, or just a little town called Fredericksburg in Texas, would've never been a dream to Landon a little over a decade ago. Him of all people living on a ranch with farm animals? He never liked cows, sheep, chickens, and whatnot; he enjoyed eating em' though. Sometimes he wondered how he managed to change so much, and although he appreciated this change, he still wondered.

The ranch had been one of his best purchases yet, second to his C6 Chevrolet Corvette. With the outside painted off-white, the wooden home had a simple construction: a rectangular structure with a low-pitched roof, a porch big enough to get a party going on the outside, and plenty of windows that he didn't need any air conditioner on the inside.

Landon had invested plenty in the place throughout the years because this was where he planned on spending his old age. He had employed Wade, who was already well-versed in the business, to work for him on the farm, along with two other men, Tyler and Danny, who lived on the ranch in the shack out back. He believed the two Beta men were shagging each other, though that ain't none of his business. When he had to stay in Cali, his best friend took charge and got things done until he got back; that was all that mattered.

It had been three weeks since he lost yet another race and left California, four weeks since Brandon made his nights sleepless and Jackson made that outrageous offer to have them sleep together so he could secure a win in the upcoming Daytona 500.

It came out of the blue—so sudden and unexpected. Out of all the things he'd expected from the kid, he didn't expect that, and to be so outright?

Strangely enough, he found the whole ordeal with the younger man more amusing rather than offensive. It made him think about Jackson a lot. It had gotten so bad, he started dreaming of the little shit. The dreams weren't anything weird, just Jackson's face; which was sorta odd when you think 'bout it. Still, the looming threat of his career continued to linger, and despite his morals, every day Jackson's offer became more tempting.

Landon sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose before his attention went back to his laptop screen at the open email. He knew kids these days were... Something, but come on. It seemed Jackson had invited him to one of Jackson's friend's birthday party, Diego Ramirez, for who Jackson would be throwing at his beachfront house in Cali this weekend.

Now why in tarnishion would he go to some random stranger's birthday party?

The button to RSVP his reservation to the party stared back at him, and he didn't know if he should accept it. What would he even do there? It wasn't like he and Jackson were friends. He wouldn't know anyone—and the darn invitation said RSVP only, with no additional guest.

The front door was pushed open, and a young man poked his head inside. It was one of the ranch workers, Danny; he was one of the natives to the country, with long braided hair and a stetson hat. "We're waitin' on you at the stables, Mr. McCoy," he said when he caught sight of Landon sitting by the crowded desk in the corner. "Wade's growin' impatient. We need to gather the sheep before evenin'."

Ah yes, the beauty of being back home. He got to ride the horses and help round up the animals until he sweat plenty and turn a shade darker.

"Wade's always impatient," he said with a chuckle. "Let him know am comin'."

When Danny left, for a brief moment he stared at the screen, contemplating if he should delete the email or accept the invitation. In the end, he left the tab open for a later decision, snatched his cattleman hat off the table, and went to the stables where the others were already saddled up.

₊˚ ✧ ‿︵‿୨୧‿︵‿ ✧ ₊˚

The ranch stretched for miles with five hundred acres of open grassland. In the midst of the afternoon sun—an orange light that glowed on Landon's face like gold, sweat dripped down his forehead, and soaked through his shirt in buckets, while his breath coming in ragged gasps.