Chapter 5 The (poisoned) Soup

Anna and Freddie agreed to be sure that Freddie stayed clear of her mother. It was the only way to assure his safety.  The two were sad. It was not fair that her mom had to be so stubborn. Anna wanted what was best for them all. Her father's illness had taken him from them last night and she was certain that did not help her mother's mood any either.

       "Anna, come here at once," Her mother called.

   Anna hid the necklace and headed towards the kitchen leaving Freddie in her bedroom. He stayed under her bed so her mother would not see him. It was obvious, that her mother was not too keen on the idea of an amphibian in the house. 

      She got to work helping with the meal preparations. She knew her mother was under a load of stress since the funeral of her father was to take place the day after tomorrow. His body had been sent away to a special place to be prepared for the occasion. Anna did not say a word about the confrontation that she had earlier. She checked to see that the crackers, salad, and dessert were properly prepared. Her mother took care of the soup. She did not know her mother had sneaked- in a little something extra into the soup. 

        She took part of the meal to Freddie so he could eat undisturbed by her mother's presence. Then, she got some food herself. She took it back to her room. Despite everything she smiled as she ate.

     Meanwhile, Anna's mother only ate the crackers, salad, and dessert. She dared not eat the soup. She had slipped some antidote into Anna's dress pocket- in case her daughter accidentally ate some of the soup. This way she could assure her daughter was alright.  She could not have something bad happen to her because of her dismay about the frog. It was the frog she wanted gone.

 Back to Anna and the frog, Freddie.  Anna smiled as the frog ate some of the same food she did. They both felt that the soup had a strange taste to it. Anna sniffed it. She began to worry when she noticed it smelled different than any soup she had ever eaten. What could have happened to make it so odd?

    "Freddie, something is wrong," Anna said. She started to cry and had no idea what caused such a reaction.

    "I believe you are right, Princess Anna," Freddie stated. He began to make a funny gargling noise as did Anna.  He frowned.  He knew right away what the trouble was and ran outside. He found some well water, and added a slice of lemon. The water turned a nice shade and he drank some of it. He gave some to Anna and she drank it as well.

       Anna did not ask where the lemon slice came from or why he had added it to the water. She trusted him and drank the water. She immediately threw up some strange liquid. She grew faint and collapsed on the floor.   Freddie gasped. What happened to Anna?  He shook her and she remained unconscious. He was angry. Why had someone attacked them?  He saw something rolling around after Anna passed out. He read the bottle, "Antidote."  

      He frowned, if it was an Antidote it could only mean one thing. The soup contained poison. He opened the bottle and gently poured some into Anna's mouth. She came too coughing and looked at him in surprise.  She hugged him. "Oh, Freddie, you saved my life again," Anna cried.

     Freddie smiled. His skin felt cold and he knew, he only had a few moments left. He grew weaker. The antidote was all gone. He had given what little there was to the princess. He did not want to lose her even if it meant his death.  "A-Anna," He said. Anna let go of him and gasped. 

      She looked closely at him and noticed his voice going faint. She knew that meant something bad was about to happen. She could not face it. Not again. "N-no, Freddie, you can't go." Anna pleaded with him as fresh tears stained her cheeks. Freddie put a leg on her hand. "Anna, you made me happy so consider the promise fulfilled, love." He stated. He did not say another word.

      His eyes closed and his breath became slower. Anna shook her head. He could not die. Not her Freddie. There must be some mistake. It had to be an accident.  She saw the empty bottle and sobbed more.  She then he must have given it to her. Why? Why cure her if he could not stay? She did not want to be without him.

          Anna's sobs became louder. "F-Freddie, please." She whispered. She picked him up and placed him on a pillow. She had to find someone anyone to help her save him. She must move fast.

         Anna ran off without a word to anyone. Freddie's life depended on it. She found a fairy soaring about. "Miss, what do I do?  My frog friend, Freddie has been poisoned. I was too, but he gave me the antidote. What can I do? Please, there must be something that can be done."  Anna blurt out.  The fairy looked shocked. This was not supposed to happen the frog was not supposed to be crocked out before he could complete his mission. 

       The fairy followed Anna back to her room. She went over to him and frowned. She could smell the toxins in him. It did not look good. She placed her hand on his left back leg and removed some petals from her sack. She sprinkled them over him with lemon water, and ground lily pads. She stood back to see what would become of the frog.

      Anna watched and put her hands over her eyes. She could bear to see him die should the fairy's help be unsuccessful. The fairy smiled as Freddie's eyes opened, he burped twice,  spit up three times, and then burped again. He was cured.  The poison did not kill him.

     The fairy left pleased it had worked. Anna sobbed uncontrollably. She thought Freddie was dead.

        Freddie hopped off the pillow and sat beside her. He smiled. "Princess Anna, love it is okay, I am not dead. I  made it. It was not my time to die." He said. Anna looked up and smiled when she saw him alive. 

       "Oh, Freddie," Anna said and kissed him. 

Find out what happens next in Chapter 6

Until then,

bye-bye,

little owlets!

Summer out!