Chapter 2 The Dream

Anna's Dream

      Anna sat on a bench in the garden when the frog arrived. She smiled at him.

     "Thanks for saving my life the other day. I spoke to my mother and she said yes we could make a place for you at the table, but you must mind your manners." Anna said.

        "Wow, that is good news, I am glad you have not forgotten your promise." He said.

        "Mr. Frog, how long will it be until I find your real name?" She asked.

        "Miss Anna, I can not discuss it now because it is against the rules. However, you may call me by my nickname Freddie," He answered. Anna nodded her head. "Freddie it is then," She agreed.

        She got out a small piece of fruit and a knife. She slowly peeled it and handed him a piece.

          "What kind of fruit is it?"  Freddie asked.

            "I am not sure, but it is one of my favorites," Anna replied. Freddie could not recall if he had ever tasted such fine fruit as this before he was turned into a frog.

             "How old are you if you don't mind my asking?" Freedie inquired. "I only turned sixteen the last time we spoke," Anna said. "Why didn't you tell me it was your birthday?  I could have brought you a nice present." Freddie said. He looked sad as if he felt bad for not bringing her gifts.

          "It is okay, I got so many nice presents from my parents and the servants gave me some things too. I received a set of colored pencils from the artist, a small cookie from the chef, and the maid even gave me this lovely item," Anna explained. She held up the small object in confusion. "I am not sure how it works," She confessed.

       Freddie removed the tiny cover off the tip of the camera. "There Miss Anna, you may take a photograph now, you need only to press the flower shape once to turn the camera on, and the frog symbol twice to take the photo."  Anna's jaw dropped at his announcement. 

 "Freddie, you are smart for a frog. Then again, you are not an ordinary frog, I am certain something must be special about you. For starters you talk, then you have saved me from the pond, and I feel as if I have known you all my life,"  Anna said.  

   "Strange you should say that for I feel the same way," Freddie stated. He blushed a little as Anna turned the camera in his direction and took his picture. He watched in astonishment as the photo popped out of the top. "It is amazing, isn't it?" Anna asked. "Yes, it is," Freddie replied. He thought it was not the only amazing thing I saw. He wondered if she would still look at him the same if he were to turn back to his human form.

  "How old are you Freddie?" Anna asked. Now don't look at me like that, it is only fair I know since you asked me my age.

       "The first time we met, I was eight years old and now I am eighteen." Freddie said.

         "Eighteen, why you are only 2 years older than me! Too bad, you are not a human boy because if you were, Mother says we could go on dates," Anna explained. "This is almost like a date, we are alone talking and enjoying each other's company," Freddie said. "I know, but it isn't the same, we can not hold hands or do other things most couples do," Anna stated with frustration.

          Freddie hopped off the bench, found a flower, and brought it to her.  "Anna, this is for you, it is my belated gift for such a fine young woman." Anna felt her face heat up again. "Thank you, but you must not say such a thing, you sound like a flirt for a frog," Anna remarked.

       "Ha, ha, Anna, you don't know how much I long to be a real boy," Freddie stated. He left out the part about how he was once. He could tell her he had been stricken from his human state since he was four because his father made a bad deal with a fairy who in turn took out her wrath on him when his father couldn't pay up.  He sighed. 

          He began to jump away. "Hey, wait where are you going?" 

          "Anna, I must return to the pond for the time being. I assure you I shall arrive for dinner and be on my utmost best behavior, until then I bid you ado," He said. With that, the frog tilted his head as if he were bowing to her.

      Anna went back inside, sure that the whole thing was crazy. Surely, the frog had not spoken to her and she had not communicated with him. Everyone knows frogs can't talk. I know, but he is different, she thought. I can't put my finger on it yet, but I feel he is hiding something from me and I intend to find out what it is.

 The story continues in Chapter 3 

  Until then,

bye-bye, little owlets!

Summer out!