Chapter Thirteen

Leilani had been groomed into the world of formalities, evening gowns, and high society by her brother. She vaguely recalled the lengthy lessons on how to sit and engage with government officials, how to conduct herself at formal events, and even the proper way to eat. Dooku took it upon himself to shape her mannerisms and wardrobe, offering no real explanation beyond the need for preparedness in case anything went awry. Those lessons proved invaluable during Senate galas and gatherings on Serenno, where her every move was scrutinised as though by Tatooine hyenas. Even the slightest misstep, like using the wrong fork, could be grounds for ridicule. Dooku made sure that never happened. He was the father figure she never had, effortlessly stepping into the role after rescuing her. He was the one person she could always count on, even from the farthest reaches of the galaxy. He'd drop everything, sever every tie, just to be by her side.

That was long ago.

His transformation might have begun the day he first saw the three-year-old girl—his sister, his kin—or perhaps it was when he realized that he cared deeply for both Qui-Gon and her. He wanted to create a better world for them, but somewhere along the way, in his efforts to change everything, he lost them both.

Leilani couldn't help but think about what he would say if he could see her now, standing in one of the Senate's repulsorpods, willing to go toe-to-toe with the Chancellor himself.

He would've been proud.

He was proud.

"We are threatening occupation over a planet which was supposed to remain neutral. My people have never asked to be in part of this war, nor would it be fair to push something against their will. The Serennian government and majority supports Count Dooku's claim and believe him to be the ruler who can bring peace and prosperity again," she said. "By forcing them to choose sides, we would risk another civil war, not only an abomination but a powerful strike against the Republic authority as a whole."

"As much as I tend to agree, a leader can define a whole planet, Countess," the Chancellor attempted to protest.

"Once again, I will have to disagree, Your Excellency. The only military presence residing over Serenno is a small blockade and the Count's private fleet, to prevent any conflict; and while he actively presides over the Confederacy Senate, he never once intended to bring Serenno closer to that or the war. He is cautiously keeping himself and the planet as two entirely different entities, for this exact reason. To prevent a war inside his walls," she argued, glancing through the crowd, before turning back towards the Chancellor. "One of my men died in an attempt on my life, yesterday evening, a strong coincidence of why I am standing right here. As a General, I've witnessed too many lives wasted in a war that should never have happened and so was his. The first of many if we decide to move against my planet. We are losing our moral compass, our principles, by allowing this conflict to drag on. Many planets and Republic systems are already suffering from endless military campaigns. What is it all for? The resources are drained, healthcare and education systems are collapsing under the strain. All for the sake of producing more clone soldiers and waging more battles. I do not wish the same fate to my planet, nor my people, and I am sure that neither does the Count."

Mas Amedda was visibly holding back a sneer. "Talk of an idealist."

"No, those are the words of a woman, who had no choice but to participate in the war, right on the first lines of the battlefield, and doesn't intend to drag her people into it."

Padmé Amidala, seated in a repulsorpod nearby, interjected with a calm but firm tone. "The Countess speaks not from idealism, but from an understanding of the consequences of war. We cannot ignore her insights on this matter."