Chapter Five

"Are you entirely sure that this is where the ship is?" Leilani was reluctant, if not perplexed. What could Master Yaddle do even near "The Works", what could have prompted her to the most unsavoury place in the whole city?

The droid beeped once again, affirming it.

"We know that she went out in her own will," pointed out the obvious Obi-Wan.

Leilani piloted the speeder smoothly, with Obi-Wan seated beside her and Anakin with R9 in the back. She couldn't quite fathom why they had brought the droid along. Nevertheless, the location unsettled her senses. It was difficult to comprehend why anyone with even a modicum of sanity would go there - it seemed highly out of character for her former Master.

"That is exactly what worries me."

The journey was far from pleasant, with the droid and Anakin engaged in constant bickering, their voices adding to the already unpleasant atmosphere. The air was thick with the stench of gas and smoke, a noxious blend that pervaded the entire industrial area. The surroundings were anything but inviting; rather, they exuded an aura of neglect and decay. Leilani couldn't shake off the feeling of disdain and discomfort that settled over her like a suffocating shroud. She detested every moment spent in this desolate place.

"This place smells worse than the Hutts," Anakin said.

As they neared the edge of the Tower, the ship that Master Yaddle had borrowed came into view. It was immediately apparent that the vessel had been left in a state of haste and disarray. There were no signs of care or maintenance; the claws that usually secured it were conspicuously absent, and the engines appeared to have been pushed to their limits, their once sleek surfaces now marred by scorch marks and signs of overuse. The ship teetered dangerously close to the edge of the building as if one strong gust of wind could have sent it hurtling into the depths below. And despite her initial judgment of Master Yaddle's decision-making, Leilani found herself following suit. She brought the speeder to a halt near the ship, paying little heed to securing it properly, and hastily jumped out of it.

The emptiness of the ship was glaringly apparent, and the task at hand proved to be more challenging than it initially seemed. The thick gas and fog obscured their senses, leaving them with no choice but to rely solely on the Force.

"Ani, stay close to Arnine, no matter what happens," she said, as she took a cautious step on the durasteel bridge.

The boy agreed.

They trailed behind her, Obi-Wan closely shadowing her steps, with R9 and Anakin a short distance behind - while she followed the Force. Reaching a part which appeared to be a dead-end, she jumped down to the ledge below soon followed by the other Jedi Knight as Anakin took the ladder.

Their steps were light, almost soundless, as they moved through the place, no matter how silent the building was.

Then she stopped, right in front of what seemed to be a huge door. "Arnine, can you get this open?"

R9 rolled forward towards the control panel of the hatch, connecting to it. Perhaps it wasn't such a bad idea to bring him. But after a few twirls of his scomp link to the left and then to the right, he rotated backwards with another loud beep.

"Fried? How can a panel be fried?" Leilani turned to her astromech in shock.

"Perhaps it was damaged by blaster fire," suggested Obi-Wan.

"Well, we'll do it in the old-fashioned way," she sighed, stepping to the smaller door on the side, ushering Anakin out of the way together with the droid and shooting a quizzical look towards Obi-Wan. "Any help?"