Chapter 5

As the jingle of a worn-out bell chimed, the young front desk clerk glanced up from the trashy magazine he'd been reading, immediately rolling his eyes once the customer turned to him knowing that he had to put the magazine away and therefore act professionally otherwise he'd hear about it from his dad who just so happened to be the owner.

Lazily stretching his arms above his head, he annoyingly watched as the guy slowly approached him. He couldn't be much older than himself, yet this guy had an aura of confidence and bravado about him that made the front desk clerk straighten himself out and try and stand to his full height which to his annoyance was still shorter. And who the hell wears sunglasses at this time of night?

Unless this guy was blind but then again, this guy looked directly at him.

"Bonjour." The stranger greeted with a cocky grin as he glances around the place.

Clearing his throat, the clerk sat himself back down. "What can I do for you?"

"I'd like see if you happen to have any rooms available fo' de night." Finding a motel at this time of night wasn't hard considering his location, he guessed he was transported to somewhere in New York of all places. Making his way to the nearest town was easy as well and he had considered 'borrowing' someone's ride multiple times but thought better of it since he didn't want to attract any unwanted attention to himself.

But on the bright side if there was one, he was at least out of New Orleans so he didn't have to worry about any of the Thieves guild nor the Assasins coming after him here. At least for now.

After he finished filling out the paper the clerk handed him, he eyed one of the magazines the clerk named 'Billy' judging from his name tag was doing a bad job at hiding. He gave an amused smile while he patiently waited for the clerk to look to make sure everything was filled out.

"Cash or-" lifting an impressed brow once the stranger placed a good amount of cash on the desk Billy wondered how the hell someone this young had that much on him. "You gonna count it or...?"

"No need, you can keep de change." Remy furrowed his brows when he saw the 'No Mutants' sign hung behind the desk.

Nodding Billy warily eyed him while looking for the key. "You're not from around here huh?"

"What gave me away?" Remy proudly smirked, thankful that he still had his sunglasses otherwise he'd have to deal with a whole another set of questions he didn't want to get into.

"Just a hunch." Billy shrugged, giving him his room key. "You running from the law or something?"

Raising his brows in amusement Remy gave a slight shake of his head as he let his eyes once again drag around the place. "Not de law homme."

"Right." Billy sarcastically scoffed in disbelief. "Whatever you say dude. Room fifteens on the second floor's all yours."

"Much obliged mon ami." He tilted his head in gratitude before turning to walk out the door letting the bell chime. "I'll let you get back to your reading now."

-X-

The next day Remy lazily leaned back against one of the chairs at one of the smaller food courts at the mall while chatting up one of the blond food workers that had approached him. Normally you wouldn't find him in one of these places since they usually spelled trouble, but after giving it some thought he decided since it was close to the motel might as well get something to eat and a ride while he was at it.

But as much as he wanted to resist the urge to steal someone's ride, the thief in him reasoned that he wouldn't be able to get around otherwise. He tried his best not to yawn since he barely managed to get five minutes of sleep last night, worrying that someone was going to find him. Not to mention the things he'd see the minute he'd close his eyes when he even attempted to get some shut eye.