Chapter 7: The Begining Of Nothing

He wandered around town, it was a long time since he did, 6 months had passed after all and he looked better than ever, his hair was cleaner, he no longer reeked and the scars on his face had healed, his clothes were proper and he looked like your average teenager. He looked around and saw a restaurant with a job offering, he was 16 already and he couldn't keep living off his parents inheritance so he applied, later the day he wandered around some more and tried to get to the highest place he could get to, that place was an abandoned building with a rooftop and as he got to the top he saw the sunset, it was beautiful, melancholic and felt like true tranquility. Yet even though he was living so much better than before, he felt sad, there was just something missing, his life still felt aimless and purposeless. If he finished high-school, college and got a high paying job, then what? Retire, become senile and die. It all felt so pointless but even so he remembered that one day when he was going to end it all a stranger he barely talked to had called him and became friends with him. He wasn't gonna die, not yet.

"It's another day isn't it? I know you're just the sun and can't really hear me nor even understand me but still, it feels nice to talk to you. I don't really know what to say but I remembered something in class, today, the culling. It's when you get replaced with a skull in the sky and some monsters emerge from the earth and every human who is deemed good will ascend to the heavens. Though it was just a myth but still, its supposed to happen in a few months."

He sighed and got up, he looked down, it was the city, the people looked so small and insignificant, trains starting and stopping, animals running out of habitats to live in, bugs being crushed. It was a city, a disappointing city and it all felt, so human. He stood on the ledge, he knew he wasn't going to jump but still, he wanted to. After observing for a while he got down and walked down the stairs but the walls turned rusty, with a faint smell of blood. He felt nervous, anxiety was creeping in, he started hurrying down the stairs but it only got worse, smashed livers were spread to the walls, eyes hanging from the ceilings, beating hearts started appearing and veins were spread everywhere until he reached the final floor. He saw what looked like a child, the wings were made from intestines, the bottom half was filled with maggots, heart was outside, there were childlike drawings near the child. A dog, a bunny, a unicorn, a fly with tentacles out of its mouth, a noose, a blood moon and hands crawling. The child had their eyes open with a frown. They looked at Jericho and talked in a monotone voice.
"Greetings, Jericho. I'm Azrael, the Archangel of Death"

 I'm Azrael, the Archangel of Death"