Chapter 5

SILVANA

My eyes remained on James as the memories of last night flooded through my brain. My eyes widened at each recollection.

"Oh, no." Sprinting up from the bed, I carefully picked up my dress and undies which were scattered around the room, and put it on, while making sure to make no noise. I wouldn't want him waking up to see me after the night we shared.

I did the last button of my shirt, took a glance at him before leaving the room. I rushed downstairs and out of the house to wait for a cab, which showed up like it had been expecting me. Wasting no more time, I got in the cab.

"Chestnut street." I told the driver who nodded and brought the car to life before driving away.

I looked out of the window. The memory of yesterday is still engraved in my head. How could I sleep with a guy I just met at the bar after just getting divorced. I was disappointed in myself. I should be focused on bringing the company back to its feets not playing around with men.

"We are here." I looked over at the driver then to the building in front of us. I was already home.

"Thank you." Stabbing some cash in his hand, I came out of the cab while he drove away.

"Where is the little miss coming from this early morning, looking like this? Did you probably fuck with some man?" Reed's mocking voice sounded as I walked into the house, and as much as I wanted to talk back, I couldn't, because he was right.

I headed for the stairs but his voice stopped me.

"You are not thinking of taking the company, right?" I turned around to stare at him.

"Glad you caught on right. I'm taking the company back." I replied and began walking up the stairs.

"You should just focus on fucking men." He said, but I didn't stop, just kept walking till I got to my room.

I peeled my clothes off my body and made my way to the bathroom. After preparing a warm tub, I went in, closing my eyes as I let the warm water do its wonders.

The water was refreshing and soothing, but not soothing enough for my hurting heart. After years of devoting myself to Reed, he ended up divorcing me, and in the most painful way ever. Worse, he gave me a million dollars, for what? For all the years I wasted?

Gosh. I won't let him go. He has to pay for cheating on me.

_______

"Nice." I mumbled once I finished applying lip gloss. I took a few steps back to stare at myself in the mirror. I was putting on a white shirt and black free pants, and I sure do look nice in them.

Picking my black handbag, I was about to leave when I saw my phone on the bed, so I went to take it. I was met with two messages and a series of calls the moment I switched it on, all from my best friend, Karen. I had completely forgotten about the phone.

As I read through the messages, I could tell she found out about my divorce and had been trying to reach me which made me glad. At least, I have someone who is always there for me. She was the only one I refused to cut ties with after getting married to Reed even though he insisted, and I'm grateful I didn't.

Smiling, I opened a drawer and took the car key there before walking out of the room. I had a car here, though I left it after getting married.

As I walked downstairs, I dialed Karen's number. Xander was in the dining room eating, but I didn't spare him a glance as I walked out of the house.

"Vana!!!" Karen's loud voice sounded immediately she picked.

"Hey."

"Where the hell did you go? I have been trying to reach you."  She asked, and I could feel the worry laced in her tone.

"I went back home." I replied.

"Home? Like, the Hardins' Mansion?"

"Yeah."

"Oh...I should have known, but anyway, I'm sorry for what happened." Her voice made me chuckle. "How did you even get to know?"

"I went to see you at the house only to meet that jerk with another woman. He told me what happened." She said, and I sighed.

"But you know what, you've got to forget about that jerk. He doesn't deserve you, so– how about we hit the club today and maybe, just maybe you are gonna get laid."

"Already did that." I mumbled, but I immediately regretted it when she screamed out loud.

"Aahh!!!!! What do you mean by that? Did you get laid."

"No, I didn't." I hung up before she could say anything else, even though I know, I'm not gonna escape this. She would surely get the words out of my mouth.

I made my way to the garage. There were only two cars there, but they were not mine, so I went deeper and there it was, my black Ford. I had gotten it when I was 22. That was six years ago, but I had to leave it here when I married. But nevertheless, I was glad it still looked okay. That reminds me, I looked around to see the empty space. The maids, drivers and guards, I had not seen since I came here.

I hope Xander has not done anything to them, but that will be for later. For now, I had to get to the company. I got into the car, ignited the engine. The loud but calm blaring of the car made me nod my head. It was still working perfectly. I drove out of the house and set the car on the road.

The drive took about forty minutes before I finally stopped in front of the Hardin corporation. I stepped out of the car and walked in, but I was shocked when I saw the workers lazing around while few were working. There were only a number of staff.

Oh, God. Xander had brought this company to ruins, but I would set it straight and bring it to the position it was before. The top of the country.