Chapter 43

Juan had decorated the living room with balloons and garlands because Emilio knew that he wouldn't skip his birthday. As expected, his friend reacted grumpily to it and wanted to remove the decorations, but Juan batted his hand away. "Don't be such a baby. In this apartment, we hang garlands when it's someone's birthday and eat cake. Tonight, you and I are going out and you don't have to pay anything. You can't think of a better way to celebrate your birthday huh?"

Juan knew that Emilio would prefer that instead of a surprise party, but they could go out every weekend and Emilio needed to know that some people could stand him enough to celebrate his birthday.

Emilio, however, quickly disappeared back to his bedroom as if to avoid his other roommates. Well, that is promising for tonight. He just hoped he wouldn't get angry.

About noon, his phone rang. He saw that it was Emilio's mother and felt a hint of discomfort. Emilio didn't know it, but Juan had been talking to his mother every month for over a year and a half because Emilio refused to answer his phone and Michelle was worried about her son.

"Hey," he said. She had always been a surrogate mother to him. He had always been able to turn to them when things went bad at home and he was glad that he could finally do something in return.

"Hey honey. How are you?"

"I'm okay. I'm hosting a surprise party for Emilio tonight. He's been living in the same apartment since Monday, so it's also a welcome party. Congratulations, by the way." He bit the inside of his cheek. He understood how difficult it must be for her that her son didn't want to speak to her today.

"How nice that he lives with you now. I'm glad to hear that, Juan."

"He's changing," he said softly. "Now that he has work and a little more structure in his life ... It's doing him good. Maybe he will soon dare to stop by. I'll keep trying."

"Thanks, Juan." Michele's voice sounded fragile and it caused a sting in his chest. She didn't deserve this pain. But no matter how many times he brought it up to Emilio, it always resulted in an argument.

"Noa wants to congratulate him. Can you try for her?"

"Yes, of course."

"Thank you dear. Hug him on our behalf."

"I will."

Michelle said goodbye, then a small voice sounded. "Hello?"

"Hi Noa. How are you?"

"I'm good," she said softly.

"Do you want to talk to your brother?"

There was a silence. "Yeah."

It was a quiet girl—pretty much the opposite of Emilio. Juan thought it was because there had been so many arguments at home. While Juan tried to loosen her up a bit by asking questions about school, he walked to Emilio's bedroom and entered it. He was gaming and ignored him at first.

"I have someone on the phone for you," he said.

"There's no one I want to talk to." 

He lowered the phone. "It's Noa."

Now, Emilio did look back. He heaved a deep sigh; Juan saw that he didn't know what to do with that either. Still, he paused the game and held out his hand in a gesture of surrender. "Fine," he hummed.

. . .

Emilio cleared his throat. He had deliberately turned off his phone, though he hadn't expected his little sister to call him. It had been a year and a half since he had spoken to her. He shot another glare at his friend, who shrugged and slumped down on his bed as if to make sure that Emilio wouldn't hang up immediately.

He had no idea what to say to Noa.

"Hey," he eventually said.

"Hi," she whispered. "Happy birthday."

Emilio swallowed when he heard her voice. He felt his eyes sting. This was exactly why he had been avoiding all contact for months: because he dreaded the confrontation. The guilt.

"Thank you," he managed to squeeze out.

An awkward silence fell. What was he supposed to say? Ask how school was going? She was in high school now.

"Are you coming home soon?" she whispered. "I miss you."

He bit the inside of his cheek. He wanted to hang up, but that would make him a coward. He was already such a shitty brother.

"I don't know," he muttered.

"Mom says ... maybe we could do something fun sometime? Maybe—maybe we could go to the Efteling?"

To a fairytale theme park? Man—that could only become fucking awkward. "Would you like that?"

There was a long silence. "Are you mad at me? Is that why you left?"

"No of course not," he said quickly. "It just didn't go so well between me and Mom and Dad. It has nothing to do with you."

Had she thought that all along? But why? Had he snapped at her?

Probably. "We can go to the Efteling," he said. "Maybe next Saturday?"

"I have a volleyball game then. I do have Holidays next week."

"Then I'll have to figure something out with my boss. I'm sure I can. Thursday?"

"I'll ask Mom."

He bit his cheek. He still had to pick her up at home. Maybe he should have said Wednesday, when his mother had to work.

"Thursday is fine," she replied. Her voice sounded strained —not exactly enthusiastic. He wondered if she wanted to go herself or if their mother wanted them to go.

"Do you have your own phone?" he asked. "Then I'll let you know what time and if I can make it."

He pulled a piece of paper and a pen toward him and wrote down the number. Then they said an awkward goodbye. When he turned to Juan, he glared at his friend. His grin was far too smug. With a bow, Emilio tossed the device onto his bed. "A day at the Efteling with my little sister. A birthday present from you?"

"I wish I had come up with it," he said, putting his phone away. "I'm proud of you."

Emilio snorted.

Juan chuckled and left his room.

Emilio continued his game, although he didn't feel much like it. After a while, he turned on his phone and saw that he had gotten some texts from people he barely spoke to. He opened his WhatsApp, thinking again about the unanswered messages from Mateo and Rory. The first he still ignored, the other he sent a payment request for the concert tickets. With that, he could pay for the Efteling.