CHAPTER 4:

                                                  Jocasta was tending to her blooming garden when she heard the hushed whispers of her daughter, the second eldest Bridgerton girl and a short plump, but lovely red-haired girl in a rather bright yellow dress.

"Of course, I don't know. How would I know?" sputtered Elisabeth in outrage. "It is not as if I can just ask Mama without making her upset or suspiscious."

"I can't ask my mama either. I don't know how it happened." Replied the red-haired miss.

"It's disturbing! And Horrific! How can we be sure it never happens to us? My mama did not even deign my inquiries with a reply! She just scolded my brothers and me for trying to engage in improper conversations!" whined Eloise rather loudly.

Jocasta put her scissors and watering pot down before sneaking behind her daughter and her newest friends and asking. "What are you girls talking about?"

All three shrieked in response, having not expected to be overheard. Elisabeth was particularly pale in the face. "N-nothing at all mama!" she exclaimed in surprise.

The other two girls quickly nodded their heads in agreement. However, the shortest girl did curtsy before doing so.

Jocasta smiled in amusement and said. "Well, it certainly did not sound like nothing. Eloise, your mother is right. Such matters are not for any young Miss' ears. And who must you be my dear?" she asked.

"I am Penelope Featherington, your grace." She introduced herself.

"It is a pleasure, Penelope." She nodded in greeting before turning to her daughter. "The next time you decide to bring your friends here, I expect them to enter through the front door." Then she turned to the other two girls." Come girls, you must stay for freshly baked biscuits and tea! Then you must tell me all about this poor unfortunate soul who is unmarried and with child."

"it is one of our maids, lady Carrington. Elisabeth, Eloise and I were just wondering how such abnormality happened." Penelope started as soon as they were sat in the comfortable

Both Elisabeth and Eloise continued in sync. " I thought a lady ought to be married!"

"Rest assured my dearests, such an incident could never happen to any of you." She started rather warily, she could not very well explain the tangible things between men and women to young misses who were not her daughters. "As long as you keep yourselves honourable that is. "A man who is not your husband should not get...physical with you to avoid so."

Eloise jumped at finally getting a helpful response. "Physical, how?"

"I shan't say more on the matter, when you are finally engaged to be married, your mama will tell you about what ties a husband and wife in great detail. And if that were not enough to ease your worries, I shall help the three of you with any questions. Till then, I will leave you to your hunt for Lady Whistledown. In the meanwhile, I have matters to tend to for my ball tomorrow!" She replied hastily and then looked pointedly at the Featherington girl. "A girl of your complexion would look rather beautiful in a green dress. Madame Delacroix is coming here today, I shall ask her to make a dress for you. You must wear it for my soirée." She informed.