CHAPTER 1:

According to the much-heralded poet Lord Byron: Of all bitches, dead or alive, a scribbling woman is the most canine.

If that should be true, then this author would like to show you her teeth...

My name is Lady Whistledown. You do not know me, and you never shall. But if you are currently reading these papers of record, then rest assured: I certainly know you...

Perhaps one resides within the household of a certain Baron Featherington. Should one have a bracket for a face?

Three misses. Foisted upon the marriage market this season like sorrowful sows by their tasteless, tactless dear mama -- the luckless souls...

Or perhaps one is more fortunate. Admirably proportioned, impressively refined? Certainly, much better luck resides in the Bridgerton household, A total of eight children in this most prolific of broods. The rather industrious viscountess and late viscount had produced four perfectly handsome sons and four perfectly beautiful daughters. Yes. Perfect, indeed.

It has reached my ears that dowager Duchess of Rothesay and Countess of Wessex has finally graced the ton of London with her presence just last dawn. Unlike, Lady Featherington, with all her daughters, her youngest and only daughter, Mss Elisabeth Carrington is to join the rest of the marriage-minded misses this season.

Similarly, the widowed Lady Bridgerton has only one daughter on the market this year. Her eldest darling, Miss Daphne Bridgerton.

This author wonders, which of the two graceful ladies would be awarded the title of the season's diamond, and which gentlemen shall be awarded such prize?

Jocasta Carrington (née Cowper) had been raised just across the street from the Ledger house, and as such, Violet and she had grown as close friends, even as the duchess left for her husband's duchy estate in Scotland, she and the viscountess had kept correspondence with letters, and she would visit whenever the Carringtons were visiting their maternal Cowper relatives.

And so, as soon as they had arrived at their London estate, the dowager duchess invited the Bridgerton matriarch for tea.

Violet had dragged Eloise and Daphne along for the afternoon, and unexpectedly, even Eloise enjoyed herself, having made the acquaintance with Arthur, who was the least insufferable man she had encountered still, as he seemed to enjoy her views when it came to marriages and the social season.

Both Bridgerton girls loved the dowager duchess, as she had complimented Daphne's appearance and manners, all the same complimenting Eloise's intelligence and mind.

"Is your Elisabeth to be presented to the queen on the morrow as well?" asked Violet politely.

"Indeed, Both James and Arthur and admittedly as I am, are a bit...Hmm...reluctant about her marrying in her first season. After all, we hadn't been here since the duke was only a boy of five and ten. And well, ten years is a long time to keep track of all the gentlemen in the ton. Lady Danbury has already assured me of her assistance. As did my sister-in-law, the lady Cowper." The duchess grimaced at the mention of the woman, much to the amusement of the ladies present.