13

ARIEL

"I can pick it up and bring it over?" I talk over the phone on Saturday morning, sitting in my room.

Alana and I exchanged numbers when we first met and I have been helping her out with her cake for revealing the gender of her baby. It was a special and sweet experience in her life and that is why I was stunned when she asked me to come to the party a week ago.

My first instinct was to decline politely and thank her for her generosity and kindness. She kept asking and I kept declining but in the end, she wore me down. She reassured me that she wasn't inviting me because she felt obligated to. She was doing it because she wanted me there.

She said she felt like we were becoming friends and she didn't have many of those. I could relate so I said yes. I would stay to see the cake cutting and leave immediately after, that was the plan.

"No that isn't necessary I can send someone to get it no problem. Just bring yourself." She says. I laugh. "I think Ares is up, sorry to cut this short but Ill see you this evening?" Alana asks.

"Ofcourse, see you." We both hang up with a 'ciao'.

After the hostage incident on Tuesday, I had taken a day off and then went back to work on Thursday. The memory of seeing a man die before my eyes is transfixed and ingrained into my brain and it might be years before I forget it.

Im trying not to think about that.

By the work hours end on Friday Russo Security had closed a big deal with a prominent corporation and my name was in the head HR blank.

I felt great about the accomplishment and equally disturbed about the CEO of said corporation.

My interactions with Griffin could be described as short, infuriating, humiliating, blood pressure sensitive but what were not, was professional. Which is why I wanted to avoid thinking about him at all costs and avoid seeing him.

Except for today. I am going today so I can be there for a happy moment in Alana's life. She does not deserve to be denied a 10th time. She was very persistent.

Everyone is busy today with their own commitments so I was alone for lunch. My day was spent working through some emails, cleaning up around my room and reading a new book, all while absolutely going insane over my outfit.

I wanted to wear something dressy but not over the top or over dressy. And something casual would look odd too, it is a party. I would be meeting her family so it had to be modest. All my dresses were either too much cleavage, too much leg, too professional, not professional enough.

I was officially going insane. I had never been invited to parties or galas or gender reveals. I was slowly realizing how small my social life was before coming to Italy. Or maybe I was just growing into adulthood.

And I would be seeing him again. I didn't want that to become any sort of factor but it did. My mind always went there and it was infuriating. How many times did he need to shun me for me to finally hate him? Apparently 4 was not the answer.

After much deliberation I decided on a safe, knee length black dress. I took the little black dress rule and just made it a little longer. Paired with light makeup and Prada kitten heels I was comfortable enough in my choice.

 Paired with light makeup and Prada kitten heels I was comfortable enough in my choice

 As 6 o'clock rolled around, I'm putting final touches to my appearance and grabbing my present for Alana and the baby as I walk out the door

I got her the book I am currently reading, she is a fellow book girly, a candle and the most gorgeous Sapphire earrings. Lucia accidentally told me the gender of Alana's baby. Well technically it wasn't her fault, she didn't know that I was going or even that invested. But it worked out because I got to buy these earrings that are blue so it's adorable.

I put it all in a little basket and I got the baby some stuffies and a couple neutral onesies.

"Does Mr. Russo know you are going to the house of the-" The driver starts talking only to abruptly stop. He stutters for a second before he rephrases. "To the Moretti's" he finishes his question.

My eyebrows knot. That was odd.

"Um," I pause. "I told Grandfather that I was going to a friends. Is it important that he knows?" I ask curiously.

The driver glances at me in the rear view mirror.

"No, not important." He dismisses, Italian accent thick. I frown.

Before I have the opportunity to pry further, the car stops infront of huge iron gates and a man and guard dog take a round around it.

Wow they weren't kidding when they said the Moretti's are a big deal. The driver speaks in Italian to the man and shows him ID and then we are let in.

Another 10 ish minutes pass before any signs of a building appear and my breath gets caught at the absolute mansion before me.

The house, if you could call it that, is huge and breathtakingly beautiful. The Roman architecture, tall walls and bricks are brooding and intimidating. Much like one of it's residents.

I get out of the car, gifts in hand and walk up some stairs to the front door.

"You must be Ms. Ariel." A man says, his voice gruff. My gut stings at his accent. I swear I am not a pervert, he is just that hot.

"Yes, Ariel Russo." I smile at Mr. Buzz cut.

"Follow me Ms. Russo." he says, walking into the house.